2015 225 Pro XS: Parts needed for compressor TSB?

2015 225 Pro XS
    Serial #2b118362

Local Mercury dealer is giving me the runaround about doing the TSB. "We haven't spoken to Mercury"....."We haven't ordered the parts"...."We're too backed up".....BLAH BLAH BLAH. What are the part numbers needed for TSB 2017-05R1? I'm going to buy them myself and have another dealer install them. Thanks for your help.

2. Member
    Just go to another Mercury Dealer, they will have the parts on hand.

3. Member
    Savage,

thanks for your note. Unfortunately, things are a bit tricky here in NW NJ. I bought this engine with 96 hours on it and Mercury agreed to do the TSB under warranty. There is only one lake here in NW NJ that allows big engines and Mercury dealers around here don't give a rat's backside about warranty work on motors they didn't sell. In fact, they don't give a rat's backside about ANY work on motors they didn't sell. There is a Merc dealer that also happens to be a Ranger dealer who told me when I asked service unrelated to the TSB, "Look, my customers are my priority. I think you should call someone else". Mind you, I used to own a Ranger and this dealer both sold me a 354 and did thousands of dollars worth of work on the engine . Another marina boasts about their award-winning Mercury service but refused three separate service requests:

<Moderator Edit: Please see the Forum Announcements, and make sure your future posts comply with them. Thanks!>

There is a Yamaha dealer who is willing to do the work if I supply the parts. I'm fine with that. The Mercury dealers around here, at least the one's that I've dealt with, can go fork themselves.
    Last edited by EuropeanAM; 11-17-2017 at 04:14 PM.

4. Member
    Mercury Dealer must perform the work for warranty purposes on the motor. Contact Mercury Customer Service via phone.

5. Member
    Do it yourself it takes all of 15 min and probably be better off the way it sounds.

I think the cost of the parts is in the 200ish area. There is a great Mercury Dealer in central PA...Robbins Marine. If you are willing to drive a bit.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

7. Member
    Gentlemen:

Thanks for your input. I found part 835088A10 for $150.00 and ordered it. The replacement process really does appear to be four bolts and some 2-4-C which I have on hand.

My concern would be whether that one a defective one too.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal

9. Member
    Why would you spend $150, when the Dealer will perform the Service for FREE.

IF you have a problem down the road Mercury could deny your claim because the Bulletin was not performed by a Mercury Dealer

The work is not just slapping a set of reeds on, there is a inspection process that also needs performed on the compressor.
    Last edited by Savage; 11-14-2017 at 09:16 AM.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    Why would you spend $150, when the Dealer will perform the Service for FREE.

IF you have a problem down the road Mercury could deny your claim because the Bulletin was not performed by a Mercury Dealer

The work is not just slapping a set of reeds on, there is a inspection process that also needs performed on the compressor.
    Well, all is well that ends well I guess. The part is being drop-shipped to me direct from Mercury so no worries on whether it is old stock or new. I found a marina who knows about this TSB and says he can do it while I wait.

That sounds like that will work!

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal