Swirls in lower gear oil when drained - anything to be concerned about?

Motor is a 2005 Yamaha HPDI 200. Very low hours. Used it only 4 times this season for MAYBE a total of 5 hours. I fish more electric only lakes and the motor is tilted up when I'm in the water.

I drained the gear case for the winter change and noticed these swirls in it, (the big white areas are shadows from the sky above). The motor was cold and had not been in the water for 3 weeks. This is the first time I am changing my own gear oil. Anything to be concerned about? It looks like it could be traces of water?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Appears like water intrusion. Needs a vacuum check.
    Larry Eby, 2004 ChampioN 188 Elite/2003 200 Hp Vmax OX66
    "Romans 10:9"

I wouldn't use an air compressor to pressurize. A bicycle pump sounds better.
    Butch Derickson
    2011 Z521 w/250 hp SHO
    Traverse City, Michigan

4. Member
    Looks like old oil mixed with new oil to me. Probably 2 different kinds.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wbrown View Post
    Looks like old oil mixed with new oil to me. Probably 2 different kinds.
    I like that! The swirls didn't look milky or water-ey at all. And from what I understand the motor sat for maybe a year before I bought it.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisalecia View Post
    I like that! The swirls didn't look milky or water-ey at all. And from what I understand the motor sat for maybe a year before I bought it.
    I wouldn't take that as a "there's no water in your lower unit," but if I were you, I'd change the oil, run it for a few ours and probably check it again to see what it looks like. Make sure you replace the drain screw gaskets each time you change lube.

7. Member
    It does kind of look like yamaha oil and quicksilver oil that didn't mix. I would do what wbrown said though. Change it, put 3 or 4 hours on it and check it or drain it again.

8. Member
    Yep change it run it a bit and check again. My old series 2 would look like that but everything tested good.
    2018 Bass Cat Caracal
    Yamaha 225 SHO

9. Member
    I put Yamaha lube in it. I will run it though I'm shut down for the winter. I may also just pressure test it since I'M NOT FISHING!

10. Member
    looks fine to me. if it was leaking there would be less oil and way more milk.

11. Member
    Another thought - the motor is 12 years old, under 40 (yes 40), hours use. Do the gearcase seals need to be changed at any time as a part of maintenance? I doubt they have ever been serviced.

12. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisalecia View Post
    Another thought - the motor is 12 years old, under 40 (yes 40), hours use. Do the gearcase seals need to be changed at any time as a part of maintenance? I doubt they have ever been serviced.
    No to changing seals, but the vacuum and pressure test needs to be done from time. to time. I overlooked the l/u maintenance and toasted my lower unit on an old Yamaha 115 2 stroke.