Thread: Mapping?

Mapping?

Hey y'all.. haven't been on here in a while..

is that mapping card/system that will allow mapping out a route using computer/google maps or google earth and then save to a chip and use on graph in boat to follow? Or do you just have to run the route the first time on the water saving waypoints?

I want to map out a route to a place I've never been... I'm pretty map savvy and can cross reference pretty well between Topo maps showing what used to be land, and satellite imaging.. navionics charts are awesome to show channels, but don't cover the inshore broken marsh too well...

Just got a bigger/better boat finally and I have a blank check for an early Christmas present and that's what I want is a good big screen fish finder with gps mapping and a good map card...

just trying to figure out out if I can map a route to follow before going..

ive run marsh and navigated all of my adult life but I find this new area I've been fishing is a little harder to identify spots to make on the spot decisions looking at the map on my iPhone...(screen too dark in daylight, and the blue dot doesn't always update fast enough)

this place has lots of open water areas to cross and lots of it is not safe to run...especially when these next couple of weeks north winds blow all the water out as predicted..

2. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Navionics has "auto route" but it is not used here in the USA......at this point the only way i to do a route is manually on the unit or us a mapping source like Google earth. Or the other option is to run the area on the water and create a trail.....OR if you have a buddy that ran the same route you can get it from him.......
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

3. Member
    I know there is a way to mark a route on google earth, save it and convert the trail so humminbirds can read it. I did it a long time ago, google is your friend to see how to do it. I don't remember but the trail is still on my google earth.

4. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Easy (assuming the unit will export go files).......create your trail/route in Google earth, save the route as a kml file then go to this website ( https://kml2gpx.com ) and convert kml to gpx, save to card and import to unit. Same thing if you make waypoints.
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

5. Member
    Yeah I'm doing some google searching... mapping it on the water kind of defeats the purpose..