Another comparison post

I have a 1198 on console and a 1199 on bow. I'm looking at the sale prices of the G1 Helix units and thinking about getting a 12 for my console. Questions: Is the Helix G1 SI a big improvement over the 1198? Is there $1k dollar difference in the G1 and G2 Helix 12's? Can the G1 Helix and my 1199 share info...waypoints?

The H12 has about 7,000 more pixels per square inch than the 1100 series.

Split screen with 70% one side for SI, that view is about the same size as a 1100 series and you got 30% more screen space for another view or two beside it.

There is no G2 Helix 12, there are G2N models, four of them.
    Helix 12 CHIRP GPS G2N
    Helix 12 CHIRP DI GPS G2N
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA DI GPS G2N
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA SI GPS G2N

The first generation Helix 12 models have CHIRP Sonar. The G2N versions have CHIRP Sonar and CHIRP Imaging (for the Imaging models).

There is not $1000 difference in MSRP of the first generation and G2N--it's about $200 more for the MEGA units. The non-MEGA G2N units are the same price as the first generation. It may be that much with the close-out sales.

Yes, all 7 versions of the Helix 12 will share all functions with the 1199ci HD SI Combo except MEGA Imaging.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

Thanks Wayne. The prices I'm looking at have the G2N 12's with Mega SI at about $2500. The non mega 12's are at $1380. So..Is the only difference in these units the Mega?
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    The H12 has about 7,000 more pixels per square inch than the 1100 series.

Split screen with 70% one side for SI, that view is about the same size as a 1100 series and you got 30% more screen space for another view or two beside it.

There is no G2 Helix 12, there are G2N models, four of them.
    Helix 12 CHIRP GPS G2N
    Helix 12 CHIRP DI GPS G2N
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA DI GPS G2N
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA SI GPS G2N

The first generation Helix 12 models have CHIRP Sonar. The G2N versions have CHIRP Sonar and CHIRP Imaging (for the Imaging models).

There is not $1000 difference in MSRP of the first generation and G2N--it's about $200 more for the MEGA units. The non-MEGA G2N units are the same price as the first generation. It may be that much with the close-out sales.

Yes, all 7 versions of the Helix 12 will share all functions with the 1199ci HD SI Combo except MEGA Imaging.

Quote Originally Posted by dwoodfin View Post
    Thanks Wayne. The prices I'm looking at have the G2N 12's with Mega SI at about $2500. The non mega 12's are at $1380. So..Is the only difference in these units the Mega?
    Just comparing the Side Imaging models:

MSRP of the Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA SI GPS G2N is $2499---current model.
    MSRP of the Helix 12 CHIRP SI GPS is $2299---discontinued model. Its close-out sale price will be some amount of lower.

The MEGA SI units have dedicated Down Imaging and the discontinued SI units have composite Down Imaging.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

5. Member
    I switched from an 1199 to a Helix 12. It's a nicer screen, but bottom line there is little noticeable different in performance (with the exception of the map making option). I'm strongly considering selling the Helix 12 to buy a G2 with MEGA SI.

Kinda what I was wondering. If the performance was that much more noticeable to warrant the expense?
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnN View Post
    I switched from an 1199 to a Helix 12. It's a nicer screen, but bottom line there is little noticeable different in performance (with the exception of the map making option). I'm strongly considering selling the Helix 12 to buy a G2 with MEGA SI.

7. Member
    It seems to wash out that the MEGA units are the way to go. I have gen 1helix 9 si and it’s functional. I can find things to the side so my next purchase is a 9-10 MEGA DI for the front of the boat. I can find the brush pile with the SI unit, mark a waypoint and with the DI unit “see” into it. I can share the waypoints to the front unit with Ethernet and get as close as needed and drop the shot on the bass. There is a website called gosale.com. I have been looking at that lately. You put the price parameters in you want to pay and it searches daily for two months. There is lots of variation in price. You can search for anything, electronics, housewares, automotive etc.

8. Banned
    Ya but remember the Mega is for shallower water use

9. Member
    MEGA is the only way to go, both for the improved SI and DI. I have both a gen1 and mega Helix 10. No comparison when searching, both for fish and structure. The images on the Mega just jump out, finding new stuff every trip. I use my Mega in 40 fow or less and scan out 60 feet in both directions. Images are really Sharpe at those depth and setting, not sure what post above considers deep. Like the idea of a 12 and using 30% of the screen for mapping.

Would love to have the MEGA but don't see that purchase happening anytime soon. Guess I'll stay with the ole Core units for another year or so. Don't want to spend money getting units that aren't gonna be that much of an improvement over what I have.

11. Member
    If I bought a Mega unit do you think the images would transfer over to a Onix unit. I am looking for a unit for the console.

12. Member
    Only if you have a Solix

13. Member
    Thanks maybe I should look at the new Solix 10 instead.