Question 2001 Ranger Trailer Brake question

Today I started to investigate a potential rear seal leak on my cool hub system. After taking my tire off I noticed the Caliper Body Assembly was very loose.. but, the bolts were tight.. after taking everything apart and inspecting it all seemed ok.. pads had a little uneven wear - pads more worn on bottom half then top.. once put back together the caliper body was still loose and would move around rather freely. Caliper is tight and pads are firmly in place..

Any ideas?
    2001 Ranger 518DVX Comanche / Mercury 200 Opti (OT306368)

Sounds like there is a washer(s) missing somewhere that would take up the slack. The caliper should be tight once the bolts are tightened. I bet the play in the caliper caused the pads to wear unevenly. Checkin the owner's manual for the trailer and see if there is a parts explosion for the braking system. Also, if DABS doesn;t respond to you here, send him a PM. He'll know for sure.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

Thanks Jeff, I thought the same thing but the best diagram I can find shows a bolt and a lock washer which I have x2 that is.. it seems pretty basic - probably why it’s probably something simple.. but I couldn’t figure that part of my issues today..

Been watching a few of Asian BassGuys video and he had a few of the DB-42 caliper - even had a segment with a loose body assembly.. will have to check the clips next time..
    Last edited by CigarBasser; 11-12-2017 at 10:40 PM. Reason: Video input

It's a floating caliper. Its designed to move.

correct, from left to right as the the pads wear..

Dang...learn something new everyday. I sure thought that the calipers on the tandem trailer of my 2001 R91 were bolted down tight.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

7. Member
    If they don't float, the caliper would have to have pistons on both sides or one pad wouldn't contact the rotor.

but even with the floating system of the caliper I don't think the Caliper body assembly should move. At least the other side isn't.. This is what I am still trying to resolve. thanks