water pressure ?

Had an ok day fishing. time to pack up and go home. about 10 miles from the ramp. jump up on plane and running 60 mph for about 5 minutes. and the warning horn goes off. look at my guage and see the temp light on. water pressure is at 0. shut it down to let it cool off. i trim it all the way up to see if the pick ups are clear, they are good. get on the front deck put the trolling motor on high for about 5 min and check motor horn. its now off, great. start it up check for peeing, good. jump up on plane again and no issues, pressure is going up but slowly. now, water pressure is at 15 psi and climbing slowly going up to 20 while rpm's are steady. (where its normally at) it starts fluctuating between 15 and 20.

do ya'll think it's the water pump? i usually change it out every 2 years in january, and two years is coming up. or could it be a thermostat? i just never seen the wp rise so slowly and fluctuate like it did. motor was at normal running trim and my manual jack plate was not moved.
    2008 Ranger 178VX
    150 Yamaha V-max

GO Fins!!!

2. Member
    My overheat alarm went off after it had new water pump installed. It was my poppit valve needed changed, I did it myself its a fairly simple job

yup, poppit valve spring broke. all replaced and good to go. also replaced both thermostats and water pump impeller for reliability.
    Last edited by cwilt; 11-23-2017 at 05:47 PM.
    2008 Ranger 178VX
    150 Yamaha V-max

GO Fins!!!

took it out today, worked great for about 5 min

water pressure drops to ZERO at around 3800 RPM's. it deffinetly has to do with speed.
    2008 Ranger 178VX
    150 Yamaha V-max

GO Fins!!!

Update:

Fixed it! Long story made short. The water pump housing was warped at the base, it pulled in the o-ring. At low rpm's/ speed it would be good. Once boat lifted as speed increased it would cavitate the water pump. Found it warped by putting the housing base on a glass plate.

Thought i put this on here in case someone else had same issue.
    2008 Ranger 178VX
    150 Yamaha V-max

GO Fins!!!