Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2003 Yamaha 250 VX250B Issue

Hey Guy's need a little insight from anyone with this experience. What I have going on is A hard to restart and idle condition after the initial start up and run. After I shutdown and fish I'm having some trouble restarting. after I do get started it wants to smoke then it idles a little rough but takes off fine. Ipulled the tank yesterday and cleaned it out. It was fine on inside and line to engine looked fine. Right now I have a new filter ordered for engine side and have already replaced primer bulb. I'm gonna change plugs and thought about replacing the 3 fuel pumps on the engine. Any advice would be appreciated. This motor is on a 2003 Sratos 201 pro.Always garage kept and regular maintenance

2. Banned
    You on the right track. Test the lift pumps before replacing.

3. Member
    When was the last time you cleaned the 02 sensor and draft tube? I had issues with lift pumps and 02 sensors. I replaced the lift pumps with a electric [thanks Rich] and eliminated that problem but the 02 sensor seems to give me the same issues at idle you are describing. So mine got a new sensor and a sync and link and everything has been great after. Does it act flooded? CJ
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.

4. Member
    Well I did the old test by pulling the pumps off the block. The middle pump was leaking when I squeezed the bulb. I took it apart and sure enough it had a pinhole in the diaphragm. Ordered a new cause I couldn't find a rebuild kit less than 27 bucks ( New 35 ) changed the fuel filter and the filter in the injector pump housing. I will pull the O2 sensor and clean it also. What is the sync and link ? I'll give it a try Saturday on Cumberland chasin them brown fish.

5. Member
    Yes It does act flooded

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jigjunky View Post
    Well I did the old test by pulling the pumps off the block. The middle pump was leaking when I squeezed the bulb. I took it apart and sure enough it had a pinhole in the diaphragm. Ordered a new cause I couldn't find a rebuild kit less than 27 bucks ( New 35 ) changed the fuel filter and the filter in the injector pump housing. I will pull the O2 sensor and clean it also. What is the sync and link ? I'll give it a try Saturday on Cumberland chasin them brown fish.
    I would always recommend site sponsors for genuine Yamaha parts...but I get aftermarket rebuild kits for the low pressure fuel pumps on eBay for about $12 and change each delivered to my front door and no tax...just the gaskets and diaphragms included. I always replace all 3 if I have a problem with one of them cuz the other two usually aren't to far behind...it's just easy to do it since I already have all the pumps off. I always keep 3 repair kits in the toolbox since they will definitely go out at some point in time...kinda like windshield wipers on a car.

Link and sync starts with a visual inspection of all 6 butterflies inside the throttle boddies to make sure the butterflies are all synced perfectly at idle (all fully closed) and at full throttle (all fully open). If you notice one or more are out of sync with the others then those need to be adjusted by the links on the side of the throttle bodies until they are all synced perfectly. If you find that they are all synced perfectly upon initial visual inspection then no link adjustments are necessary.

As for the O2 sensor...I use the automotive version NGK/NTK 21006 for $30 off ebay as well...also with no tax and delivered to my front door at that price. Just have to splice the Yamaha connector onto it from your original Yamaha sensor and it's the same exact thing at almost $300 cheaper. I don't even bother with cleaning the sensor anymore...just replace it since it's so cheap. Just clean the tube real good while it's out reinstall.
    96 Bullet 20cc, Yamaha OX 250+, 10" jack, labbed 30" Bravo LH w/1.25" exhaust pipes, counter rotating Bob's lower, it goes faster when you spin it the other way...

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jigjunky View Post
    Yes It does act flooded
    shoot me your e-mail, you can read how to do the sync. flooding can be the LP fuel pumps or the 02 acting up. CJ

8. Member
    Thanks for the ebay heads up. I'm going to order the kits tomorrow and the sensor. I took the O2 sensor and housing apart tonight and wow what a damn mess. Guess thats not on the Maintainence list. It took 2 hours to get the carbon out of housing. I cleaned sensor but I will change next week. I goota get everything together for Saturday tourny for 2 High Schoolers. This thing outa run much better idling and wot. Thanks for the info guys and I will send my e-mail CJ1. I enjoy reading that stuff, always something to learn.

9. Member
    You'll have a lot of reading! Cj

10. Member
    How did things work out? Did you get your reading material? Cj

11. Member
    Got the material. Thank You Sir !
    O2 sensor was a mess. Cleaned it all up and changed pump. Took It out and it ran like a top until returning to ramp got a oil alarm and light. Oil level was fine and motor idles fine. However when I get up on plane the buzzer goes off again. I'm going to start with the switch in the oil tank then the switch in the tank on engine. Hopefully a false alarm. Damn boats lol

12. Member
    Check the tank and switch assembly on the engine, usually a easy fix at the connectors or sensor. Unless the engine tank is out!! CJ

13. Banned
    Clean or replace the little oil filter in the onboard oil tank also.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
    Clean or replace the little oil filter in the onboard oil tank also.
    He e mailed me, that was it! Forgot to add that if the engine tank was out/low. Good call Rich. CJ

15. Member
    Rich you mention oil tank filter?
    I paid to have my onboard oil tank and oil filter inside tank replaced/cleaned?
    Is it hard to do it myself?
    Steps in order?
    Thanks Garland

16. Banned
    Remove the oil tank from the boat. There will be a smal electric oil pump attached to the back of it and an inline filter/strainer. Remove and clean or replace the filter. Messy but very simple procedure.

17. Member
    What are steps once installed back inboat- tank and filter for the oil tank and filter?
    Meaning the oil system is primed and free of air- system purged of air
    Does the electric oil pump purge system?
    Thanks

18. Member
    Was changed almost 4 years ago I'm sure it is overdue.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by javelin90 View Post
    What are steps once installed back inboat- tank and filter for the oil tank and filter?
    Meaning the oil system is primed and free of air- system purged of air
    Does the electric oil pump purge system?
    Thanks
    I always use the manual switch and make sure there is flow going to the engine tank. With the boat tank full it will self prime. CJ

20. Member
    Manual switch on tank or motor?
    Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast