Thread: Honda 225 alarm

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Honda 225 alarm

The upper motor mounts on my 225 loosened up so the motor and everything connected to it had to be removed in get to them. The local Honda dealer couldn't get to it for 3 to 4 weeks so I have a good friend that works on marine motors, but not Honda, who was willing to help me do the job. I order all the parts and the job went smooth. It was just unbolting everything, tightening the upper mounts and then putting everything back together. I bought a Honda shop manual and everything was done according to it. We finished with it and took it to the lake for a trial ran and as soon as it cranked I got an alarm. The impeller was replaced and I had good water pressure and a good stream from the motor and I replaced the oxygen sensor about 3 months ago. I don't know what the oil pressure was because I don't have a oil pressure gauge. I have a 2003 Ranger 521 that doesn't have a lot of gauges and hardly any lights that tell you what might be wrong. There wasn't anything wrong with the motor before except the upper mounts were loose and as far as we can tell everything was plugged back in and hooked up (no extra bolts or part left over). I need some expert help. Does anyone know what it might be?

2. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    Check the 150 fuse, or any other fuses. Might have blown one when you unhooked or hooked up the motor. If its not charging (fuse) then you will get the horn

3. Member
    I checked the fuses that are on the port side of the motor. The largest was a 30 amp, so where would the 150 fuse be? Also because we pulled the oil pan and the motor sat for awhile I am wondering if all the oil drained out of the oil pump and maybe I don't have oil pressure. I know that when I built car engines we always primed the oil pump. Don't know if that's whats happened, just throwing everything out there to see what everyone thanks. If I wanted to put a oil pressure gauge on the motor does anyone know where it would hook up on the motor?

4. Member
    I would like to contact HondaRay by phone. Does anyone have his number that they could send me? I had it and he has helped me in the past but when I got my new phone I can't find it now.

5. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    The big fuse is in front of the motor held on by two screws.

Look on page 88&89 of the manual

http://cdn.powerequipment.honda.com/...s/31ZY2606.pdf

PM sent

6. Member
    I took it to a Honda service center this morning and they said it was the oxygen sensor. I put a new one on it back in July and its already bad. The dealer call Honda and they are going to send me a new one free. I was told that they are having problems with them. I want to thank Hickory Legend for all his help. I'm just glad that it wasn't something that I did wrong.

7. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    Good deal!!

I had the 150 fuse blown and as soon as you started the motor it was a continuous horn. The O2 usually beeps and then stops and repeats.

8. Member
    Did the alarm quit when you replaced the O2 sensor? Does your boat have the "idiot light switch panel"?

9. Member
    Haven't replaced it yet. Waiting for the part, which should be in this Thursday. After thinking about it and after what Hickory Legend said about the alarm I don't think it is the O2 senor. I didn't take it to Honda when I replaced the O2 sensor because Ray told me what was wrong so I just ordered the part and fixed it. I think that they maybe reading an old code on the computer for the O2 sensor I replaced back in July. The alarm comes on and never stops sounding until the key is turned off. I hope that I am wrong and a new O2 sensor fixes it.
    Hickory I did check the 150 fuse and it was good. What items will make the alarm go off?
    Ray the panel I have is a touch. I can text you a picture of it with the motor running and the alarm sounding if you want me to.

10. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    If you have the crank case oil light I would make sure it’s green!
    Not sure what else gives you a solid horn.

Make sure your water separator is clean of water.

11. Member
    Finally got the new O2 sensor today and installed it and the alarm is OFF. Hope this one last longer than the last. Only got 4 months out of the last one.

12. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    Congrats, just never heard of the O2 giving a solid tone. Little by little we are learning more and more about them.

13. Member
    Good news. Make sure the dealer cleared the codes.

14. Member
    Well the O2 sensor didn't fix it after all. Took it to the lake and ran it and the alarm came back on. I took it back to the mechanic and now he says that it is the alternator. Said it is not charging. I know that would probable cause the alarm to go off but don't know for sure so I will probable go ahead and pull it and have it tested. He said that the alternator not charging will cause the alarm to sound but that it wouldn't leave a code. He said there wasn't a code in the computer.

15. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    I have blown the 150 amp fuse 2 while reregging so I know the sound LOL.

Kind of strange that It went out after doing all that work. Since you said you unhooked everything I figured you had blown the fuse. Did it do it as soon as you started the motor of after running it a little while.

Here in Nashville we have a few shops that will rebuild the Alternator, might want to check around, should be the same as whats on the cars if you take it to a parts store.

16. Member
    I haven't got to check it out yet, but the mech said the 150 fuse wasn't blown. I checked on Ebay for alternators and found a few that are used and a lot of after market a good prices. I will let everyone know what I find out after pulling it today.

17. Member
    still not a "bad" problem...good luck and keep us posted!

18. Member
    I replaced the alternator and took it to the lake for test run and the alarm is off. Thanks for all the help.

19. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    Good deal!!

20. Member
    I had 3 02 sensors go on my 225.....shop said my motor was getting water back to the sensor killing it.....they got Honda to ok the repair for tech bulletin 56? that is pretty extensive repair.....they put longer exhaust tubes in so no water gets sucked in the exhaust ports....if you haven't had this done make sure you don't have motor tilted in when off plane....I have Rays # but I'd have to charge you for that......
    2004 Ranger 520DVX Honda 225 8" Atas 80 Min-Kota Ultrex Vexilar Flashers Lowrance Raymarine 8' Blades

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast