Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Member
    I shot this one crossing a path with his head down only wide enough to fit a truck down. If I could go back I would have let him walk. I only have about 60 acres that me and my brother in law hunt. I heard seven shots fired last Wednesday afternoon when hunting so I'm pretty sure those around me aren't all letting them grow.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TritonMan250 View Post
    This questions is for you Tennessee/Kentucky guys, what size places are yall hunting on average?
    I have 115 acres. Opening day one of my neighbor and his two teenage sons killed two spikes and a four pointer. They brought a guy that afternoon that shot a doe and her two fawns. No different around here.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ky-triton View Post
    They brought a guy that afternoon that shot a doe and her two fawns. No different around here.
    That's pretty messed up. Were they still spotted?
    2017 Xpress H20B
    115 Yamaha SHO

4. kenny@bunchmarine
    Quote Originally Posted by TritonMan250 View Post
    This questions is for you Tennessee/Kentucky guys, what size places are yall hunting on average?
    I'm hunting 652 acres with 5 other guys. Only 3 of us hunt it regularly. We have an 8 or better rule and must be outside of the ears. And harvest as many does as we legally can.

5. kenny@bunchmarine
    Quote Originally Posted by The gurg View Post
    That's pretty messed up. Were they still spotted?
    That meat is super tender!!

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kenny@bunchmarine View Post
    That meat is super tender!!
    You're not wrong.
    Last year I was in NC hunting for 5 days and passed up a shot every day because it was a momma and fawn coming out in the field. The 5th day I had a doe come out solo at 150yds. Watched it for 15 min and decided that was the deer since it had no friends.

It looked considerably bigger through my scope than it did in person, but it sure did taste good.
    2017 Xpress H20B
    115 Yamaha SHO

I've killed some that would embarrass some of you fellers...I used to be very cold hearted...it took me a long time to get to where I am now but I've killed deer that topped out 27 pounds dressed that you could fit in a single zip lock bag... And never thought nothing about it. I couldn't do it now but that backstrap on the grill is about 10 inches long and it needs no knife... Amber's favorite but she can't think about it or she can't eat it...
    I'm a much better hunter now than I was when I was shooting all those deer every year... We still eat good, and I give a good bit away but I don't kill one for everybody and their brother anymore...
    MattandAmber Lawler on Facebook
    Matt Lawler HF on Facebook
    matt_lawler_hf on Instagram

"There ain't a price on stupid. Stupid comes for free."

Jonathan Hillstrand

Quote Originally Posted by mrlawler1 View Post
    No there's row crop here but nothing like that... I've got some planted here... If I had a bigger sponsor I'd plant all the open space I got... There's prolly 75 maybe 80 acres that's farmed in beans or corn every year..prolly another at least that much that isn't planted by the farmers. I'd love to be able to plant in and just leave it but that ain't happening...

I live in Lauderdale county Alabama. Furthest NW county in Alabama.. Lawrence and Wayne county line splits my hunting land... Those two counties in TN are just across the state line from Lauderdale county..
    In past years, the farm I hunted always cut the fields (no crops) for hay but last year they left it uncut. It was about chest high everywhere with trails and bedding areas everywhere. My dad wasn't happy about it but I think it made a great place for them to hid. I saw deer every time I went out. So my point (yeah I make one on rare occassions) is maybe plant it in some annual grass like alfalfa or something similar. If you have control over the plantings you could sell the hay. But you could also leave it in the fields for the deer. Just a thought.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

I can plant whatever I want in the areas not farmed. If I had the funds I would put a lot more out than I do.. this year it's grown up a lot more than it usually it's.. after it was cut and we planted the Johnson grass in the areas not planted shot up like crazy. Over head high in places.. there's only been a few days that we haven't seen deer... And that I haven't seen some kind of horns...I stay up there more than anybody else and have gotten to where I don't mind to sit and watch.. some of the other guys get frustrated but I know that the next deer that steps or we may be the one that I'm looking for.. And I've been one to let that one go a time or two.
    MattandAmber Lawler on Facebook
    Matt Lawler HF on Facebook
    matt_lawler_hf on Instagram

"There ain't a price on stupid. Stupid comes for free."

Jonathan Hillstrand

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123