99 Johnson 200 - Fuel Delivery Problem?

Motor: 1999 Johnson 200hp
    Model: J200PLEEN

In a hurry this morning, I took the boat to the ramp to go tow a friend home who had lost a blade off his prop. My problem is that while the motor started up fine, it would die when I would put it in gear. I let it idle for 4-5 minutes to make sure it was warmed up, but to no avail (water & air temps were in the low 60s, so this shouldn't have been an issue). I was on the water last weekend with no issue, so it's not like the boat has been sitting for an extended period of time, so I'm lost here.

-Fueled up last week, so gas SHOULD still be good
    -Carbs were rebuilt within the last 2 months
    -New plugs & plug wires w/in the last 2 months

When I got it home, I hooked it up to the hose and verified that I had spark on all 6 cylinders. Not sure what to try next?

2. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    Unplug the shift interrupter switch and see if you have spark on all 6 @ idle.

3. Member
    No change, still good spark on all 6, still dies w/in 3-4 seconds of shifting into gear

4. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    idle rpm in neutral in the water? And in gear? May need to bump up the Idle RPMs.

5. Member
    In the water was right at 1100. When I put it in gear, it would drop to ~500 instantly & keep falling as it stalled out.
    Ben

6. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Primer bulb staying firm? Can you catch it in time to take off or does it happen so fast that you can't catch it. Have you been out after the carb work?

7. Member
    Bulb is staying firm, yes.

I have been out 6-7 times (approx?) since the carbs were rebuilt.

I was able to get catch it one time - it jumped right up on plane, but sputtered and died [like it was out of gas] within a minute.

8. Banned
    Check your cover plate gaskets. I recently had the same problem after a carb rebuild and it was due to faulty gaskets. They had ripped on the inside contact points. My motor ran good for awhile and then the same thing you describe started happening. I'm talking about the square plate on the side of carbs.

9. Member
    It's a little frustrating that I'm gonna have to take apart the carbs (to some extent at least) and replace gaskets again - but a $30 fix isn't that bad.

Thanks for the suggestion Rude. I'll check back in once the new gaskets come in.

10. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Is the clear sleeve still over throttle roller?

11. Member
    I'm not exactly sure which roller you're referring to, is it the one highlighted in this picture?

https://www.boatdesign.net/attachmen...ver-jpg.44510/
    Attached Images Attached Images

12. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    The picture you posted appears to be a 70 HP motor not like yours at all. Although this picture is of a 150 HP Faststrike the roller and cam are in the same location. The clear sleeve is yellow in this example.
    Attached Images Attached Images

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rude196 View Post
    Check your cover plate gaskets. I recently had the same problem after a carb rebuild and it was due to faulty gaskets. They had ripped on the inside contact points. My motor ran good for awhile and then the same thing you describe started happening. I'm talking about the square plate on the side of carbs.
    i've had the same issue with mine this summer and it was the small cover plates on the throttle bodies (i think they are referred to as carbs).
    2020 Ranger Z519 | 2020 Mercury Pro XS 225 4S | Helix 10SI | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Noco GENIUS 10X4
    Fury 3 22P True Pitched | Power Pole Pro 2's | Ghost TM | Mega 360 | MEGA LIVE | Atlas 8in Jack Plate | Trick Step | 3X Amped 80ah Lithiums

14. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bama.Bassmaster View Post
    It's a little frustrating that I'm gonna have to take apart the carbs (to some extent at least) and replace gaskets again - but a $30 fix isn't that bad.

Thanks for the suggestion Rude. I'll check back in once the new gaskets come in.
    I would check the outside three first but unfortunately mine were on the inside so i did have to remove three. You won't have to tear down carbs at least.

15. Member
    I'm working on replacing the cover plate gaskets now, the outside three all looked fine so I'll have to get to the inner three before the rain get's here.

That clear sleeve is missing, Fred. How important is that?

16. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    The throttle plates will not open at the same time the timing is advanced and they will not attain perpendicularity with the carb bodies, when WOT is applied.

17. Member
    New sleeve is on the way, I'll circle back when it arrives and I have a chance to test it out. Thanks again for your continued help with this!

18. Member
    Finally have resolution to this and am back running at full speed. Thank you so much Fred and others for your help!

I believe the root cause was actually just a bad fuel primer bulb. That being said:
    -the cam follower roller did need to be replaced as the clear sleeve portion was missing
    -While the cover plate gaskets were good, two of the carb body seals (o rings) needed to be fixed / replaced (one out of place, one broken)

Went ahead and replaced all of the fuel lines while I was at it, so hopefully those won't go bad again as long as I've got that motor.

Thanks again all!

19. Moderator
    Glad all worked out. Been watching a lot of threads on this forum and there's a lot of good information to had.....for free.