Thread: Season's over

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned

Unhappy Season's over

Was going to wait until the first week of Dec. to call it quits but no dice. My son and dad bailed on me today. Kid had to take a test for school and dad is still recovering from fishing last weekend in 40* and rain. I have a baptism next weekend and Thanksgiving is the following. There is skim ice on all the local ponds.
    Was a good year. My 77 year old father got 2 PB's this year, a 4+lb bass and a 13" crappie. Had a great panfish season and did pretty good with the bass although no giants this year. Did more offshore fishing this year and tried a number of new lakes in southern Wisconsin. Picked up some accidental pike and walleye while bass fishing as well. Made the last payment on the boat and I've decided to keep her. I've been debating downsizing since I'm not really fishing many tournaments anymore but the cost of new boats is absolutely crazy. Amazing that $20k doesn't buy much as far as new and I can't see spending $20k on a 10 year old fishing boat. The Predator has new brakes, new tires (same old rims), new cover, new batteries. She's ready to go for ice out. Here's pics of dad's PB's. He was ecstatic. Feel free to post your stories for the season as well.

2. Member
    Good job for your pops sloan! I put the boat up already as well. Might have to take a trip south over the winter to keep from losing my mind. Your boat's paid for, may as well keep it bro

3. Member
    Great to see/hear about your dad's successes! Wish mine was still around to see I finally got the boat I'd been wishing for past 35 years and be able to join me out on it...Wasn't quite ready to give up just yet and was rewarded with a nice 4 lb'er out on Shabbona this past week toughing it out in 45 degrees and 44 water temp...maybe a musky try or two left in me...and you're right Sayner!...main reason I'm still at it is cuz the next 3-4 months will drive me crazy!

2012 Stratos 189 VLO/150 Mercury Pro XS/MinnKota Terrova

Good job dad...
    2013 Pre-Johnny Ranger RT 178
    115 PRO XS
    Due to the increase of ammunition prices... There will be no warning shots
    Honda certified Master technician 33 Years

5. Member
    With your boat being paid for, why downsize?
    2013 Pro Team 190
    2013 Mercury 115 Optimax Pro XS
    Minn Kota 70# Edge
    22p LightSpeed Prop
    Humminbird 898 at console
    Humminbird 598 at bow

6. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ToyotaKev View Post
    Wish mine was still around to see I finally got the boat I'd been wishing for past 35 years and be able to join me out on it...
    Dad used to have a 26 foot Pro Line rigged for Lake Michigan trolling. Downriggers, dipseys and the like. When he bought the boat, my grandfather was too weak from cancer to join us on the boat. Pa was cremated and dad had kept a small Tupperware jar with some of of Pa's ashes on the boat. The ashes were there until dad sold the boat.

Paid for, keep it, more money for up grades.

Glad your dad had a great year

Your happier over your pops year. Then anything else. Which awesome, Thanks

Have an adventure everyday !
    2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

Back down in Georgia as of yesterday. Now my southern fishing begins. First up is Lake Eufaula, Alabama. ��

Eat, Sleep, Hunt & Fish

2010 Tracker Tournament V18 18' 3"
    Mercury 115 ProXS 4Stroke Mercury Spitfire X7 Prop 21P
    Minn Kota 80lb Thrust Ultrex.
    6 inch CMC Pro Hi-Jacker
    Humminbird Helix 10 DI G4N W/FFS @ Bow
    Humminbird Helix 9 DI G4N @ Bow
    Humminbird Helix 9 SI G4N @ Console
    Smartcraft Merc Monitor (Basic)

9. Member
    Lived in Northern Illinois for the first 40 years. Spent the last 38 Winters in Houston, TX. No way could I handle putting my boat away for Four months. I feel for you guys.

10. Ya, I Live on Rainy Lake! basscla's Avatar
    I know your pain. But when the boat goes into the garage, the snowmobile trailer comes out.

11. Member
    You might be putting it up for the season, but the great memories you had this past season will over shadow the end of the season. Congrats to your dad for his accomplishments with his PB's.

12. Member
    Just weld on an extra plate on the bottom and make it an ice breaker.

Nothing imo is better than spending time on the water with your dad or grandfather.

Quote Originally Posted by basscla View Post
    I know your pain. But when the boat goes into the garage, the snowmobile trailer comes out.
    Amen

Have an adventure everyday !
    2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

Season's not over yet (I hope) but work has gotten in the way big time. Mandatory OT and Sat/Sun hours. But I have 9 days off coming up starting Saturday. I need to get my new Helix 10 installed on the console before I go out. This one is going to take some time compared with just slapping the Helix 7 on the there. Our lake is slowly dropping from being up 7' over winter pool (where is was last weekend) due to all the rain we just had. Not looking forward to parking the boat till Spring.
    2018 Skeeter MX1825 w/175 Yamaha 4-Stroke
    80# MK Ultrex w/ I-Pilot
    HB Helix 10 SI Mega, HB Helix 9 SI, Helix 9, Garmin 106SV
    USAF Ret

15. Member
    Just wondering if the Helix 10 takes a different transducer (and power cord) than the 7. if it does not, then your install time may be less. Might be worth a call to the manufacturer.

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    I absolutely do not miss Midwest winters and having to sit around waiting for spring. I was never into ice fishing. I will be happy fishing this winter in southern VA so hang in there!! So cool that you could still take your dad fishing. I hope to get my dad out over Thanksgiving, even if its just for easing around the lake as his casting abilities ain't what they used to be (turns 90 in February!).
    2018 Ranger RT188 SC Black/115 hp Yamaha SHO 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - north
    2018 Ranger RT188 DC Black/115 hp Merc Pro XS 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - south
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway

Quote Originally Posted by richg99 View Post
    Just wondering if the Helix 10 takes a different transducer (and power cord) than the 7. if it does not, then your install time may be less. Might be worth a call to the manufacturer.
    Its a Mega unit so the transducer is different. But I'm going to run the Helix 7 transducer for 2D only (with an adapter cable) and keep the Mega higher on the transom. Running a dedicated 12 gauge wire from the battery to the console for it as well. Only thing I'm lacking right now is time to do it...
    2018 Skeeter MX1825 w/175 Yamaha 4-Stroke
    80# MK Ultrex w/ I-Pilot
    HB Helix 10 SI Mega, HB Helix 9 SI, Helix 9, Garmin 106SV
    USAF Ret

No traveling to southern IL lakes during the winter? Oh, and I'll sell ya my 2017 RT178 if you're really looking to downsize!

19. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ILbassin View Post
    No traveling to southern IL lakes during the winter? Oh, and I'll sell ya my 2017 RT178 if you're really looking to downsize!
    The problem with traveling is I keep the boat in a storage lot. It won't get plowed where it's located. It would cost me another $40 a month to put it in the area that gets plowed.

Ah, didn't think about storage lot getting snowed in. Well, maybe breaks in the weather will allow you to get it out a couple times over the ice season.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast