2003 Ranger 521 help

I purchased a 03 521vx with a 03 250xs with an Atlas 6" hyd jack plate. It came with a 27p tempest plus. Before I put any tackle or the rest of my arsenal I like to carry I was getting 74mph (gps) 5900 rpm and just starting to chine a bit. Happy with that, I loaded up and performance went away. Can't get the bow up now and running 63-64 mph. What prop should I try to get the nose up and run a little faster? Thanks in advance. Larry

2. Member
    24 or 25 tempest depending on your load. Loaded I doubt you'll see 74 again. That boat is know for it's ride not it's speed.

I know they aren't rocket ships and was pleasantly surprised to see 74mph. Without much seat time. It's my first boat with a hydraulic jack plate so I'm sure it probably has a little more in it. I tend to carry more than I should, but I hate to need it and not have it. When loaded the nose wouldn't come up and had a terrible high roostertail. I don't know if I need to go to a 4 blade or a 3 with more cup. Just hoping to get pointed in the right direction. I had a 1991 361v with a Merc 175 that I ran a high 5 on that had the best all around performance. Great hole shot, would carry the bow as high as you wanted it and only lost 2-3mph wot loaded heavy. Thanks for your input. Larry
    There’s no use being stupid if you’re not willing to show it off.

4. Member
    Lots of difference between a 1225 lb boat and a 1950 lb boat most guys struggled to get the old 520 to even run 70 with a 225.

5. Member
    I would personally try to move the heavier tackle to a compartment behind the seats in order to shift some weight toward the back. The 521VX is a different animal than the 520VX. The total length is only 6 in longer, but the seats are 11 in further back. That makes the bow stick out further, but because you are sitting further back it puts more weight toward the back. You could put a 250 on a 520VX and it could never hang with a 521 just because of the layout putting the weight more to the rear. I had my 25 Tempest tuned and it will raise the bow like you wouldn't believe, but wasn't enough pitch to keep the motor rpms in line. You may also call one of the better prop shops and talk with them about tuning your prop after you get the weight distributed correctly and your jackplate height in the right spot. I believe a 24 or 25 would be trying to over rev your motor. My 521VX has a Yamaha OX66 250 on it. I just put a untuned 26 Tempest on it yesterday and I'm running 6200 Rpms at 71.6 mph with two 1/2 tanks of fuel and my full load with just myself. It was about 65 degrees air temp. I'm thinking I may need to get a 27 for winter and keep the 26 for summer. I'd like to get the rpms in that 58-5900 range.

6. Member
    79ranger getting the 26" tempest repaired to get rid of the prop slip would make a lot of difference on your boat and running a new 25 T2 might help too. If the tempest was hooking up instead of slipping 21% you wouldn't be turning 6200 rpm's at 71 you'd be closer to 74 and turning 5800 rpm's.

7. Member
    I have the same boat with a 2014 pro xs 250 I'm running a tempest 26. I don't run anymore than 65-67mph tournament rigged @5800. Two ten foot blades on the back and 10" jack plate. Two plugs out. I don't know how people are getting 74mph

8. Member
    I agree. I had the slip figured at 19% using the mercury calculator, which is way too high. I need to send my 26p off and have it worked. I didn't mean to hijack the thread, I just took a long way to explain that I think he needs to redistribute weight and go down a degree or two in prop pitch.

74mph is no load, me and maybe 20gal of fuel. I was very happy with that and the boat seemed to be getting up on pad. Add maybe 150 lbs up front and it all went away. Larry
    There’s no use being stupid if you’re not willing to show it off.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by high 2 View Post
    74mph is no load, me and maybe 20gal of fuel. I was very happy with that and the boat seemed to be getting up on pad. Add maybe 150 lbs up front and it all went away. Larry
    That wasn't meant to call you out or anything. I am just curious how 79Ranger168v gets 4mph more than me with same prop similar load. Like what am I doing wrong.

11. Member
    Greener, I don't have any poles and I have a 24v trolling motor which may mean one less battery than some. I also have a 6" plate and had all three large PVS plugs in. When I ran 71.6 on Friday I was by myself with 26 gallons of gas and with about 15 rods. The front center compartment full of 3600 and 3700 boxes along with the cooler full of water bottles. That is the best I have ever seen so far, but I have a completely fresh motor from top to bottom and just started to get it set up properly. With two people on Saturday I ran almost 69. I got the gps speeds from both my humminbird and lowrance units at the console. Weight distribution is key in these boats because of the long front deck. I try to keep the majority of worms I don't use as much in one of the back compartments to offset some of the weight in the bow.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Greener View Post
    That wasn't meant to call you out or anything. I am just curious how 79Ranger168v gets 4mph more than me with same prop similar load. Like what am I doing wrong.
    Yeah I definitely have more weight in the back. Lately I have had half a livewell full all the time but a new divertor in so that shou,d be fixed. This boat is new to me.

13. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    you loaded the boat and lost 11mph thats unheard of.... did you add 500 to 700 plus pounds of gear?

14. Member
    If high 2 has a 2003 250 xs a new 250 pro xs won't keep up with it. His motor has at least 20 more hp than a new 250