Voltage question

I have dual Lowrance 12s at my console. A gen2 and gen3. My units show 12.4 when you first plug them up then they will drop to 11.4 after ten minutes or so. Is this normal. I have units wired to a fuse block under the console. I have 6ga wire running from fuse block to deka 27 agm battery which is 1 year old. Also on fuse block are lights, live well, bilge. Just checking. Thanks

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Probably two things going on. When you first plug in, you are reading an artificially high voltage from surface charge left over from the charger. The second thing is that you can't accurately measure voltage on a wire that is powering a piece of gear.

Measure the voltage on the battery posts both right as you power the units up, and then when the reading drops.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

3. Member
    Sounds good. I will tomorrow. Yeah I figured it was a false high. When I first unhooked the charger the battery post showed 13.58 and so did the blue plug that goes into the hds. I will unplug the charger in the morning give it some time and then check the voltage. Thanks

4. Member
    Well looks like my one year old 27 series agm Deka is going bad. The volts continuously fell at both the Lowrance and the battery. It was 9.7 at the Lowrance and 9.9 at the battery. My one concern is I have the agm on a guest 3 bank charger with 2 regular flooded cell batteries. Going to get a new flooded cell and see how it goes

5. Member
    Another question. I'm not sure how all the battery voltage works. So when I unhooked the guest 3 bank charger I was showing 13.5 with a voltmeter at the battery post which I no is the last voltage the charger was putting out. Voltage drops slowly down the 12.6 and levels off. Shows same voltage at the power connection for the Lowrance. When I hook my hds12 up the voltage continuously drops to 9.8. Is this a bad battery? Voltmeter shows the same as the Lowrance unit. The battery is a one year old deka intimidator agm 8a27m. 900mca, 580cca, 175rc and 92 AH. Its hooked up with 2 ever start max flooded cell batteries for the trolling motor. Any help would be appreciated.

6. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracker View Post
    Another question. I'm not sure how all the battery voltage works. So when I unhooked the guest 3 bank charger I was showing 13.5 with a voltmeter at the battery post which I no is the last voltage the charger was putting out. Voltage drops slowly down the 12.6 and levels off. Shows same voltage at the power connection for the Lowrance. When I hook my hds12 up the voltage continuously drops to 9.8. Is this a bad battery? Voltmeter shows the same as the Lowrance unit. The battery is a one year old deka intimidator agm 8a27m. 900mca, 580cca, 175rc and 92 AH. Its hooked up with 2 ever start max flooded cell batteries for the trolling motor. Any help would be appreciated.
    Sounds like a shorted cell getting under 10V. Not sure why it hangs at 12.6 though.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

7. Member
    That 12.6 is for a short period of time. I haven’t just let the battery sit for a day or so and check it. This was all done today. Yeah im hoping it’s a bad cell/ battery.

8. Banned
    i would say bad battery as well. mine is always around the same

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracker View Post
    I would also concur that it's a bad battery, especially since you're getting a drop like that from an AGM. My question involves the setup. Why would you be running an AGM with electronics connected AND in the trolling motor circuit. The electronics and trolling motor should not be on the same circuit.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TroyBoy30 View Post
    i would say bad battery as well. mine is always around the same
    Your picture shows the motor alternator/charger voltage while running. Take a Picture with your motor not running, it will not show the same thing.

I do agree that it is bad battery.

11. Banned
    correct..heres not running with everything on. 2 solix 15's, led lights, radio, nmea, etc etc

12. Member
    What I meant by with trolling motor batteries is the agm is on the 3 bank charger with the 2 flooded cell batteries. The trolling motor batteries are hooked together for 24 volts and the agm is on the other lead. Think I’m going with a crown 31dc130 flooded cell battery. Has 200 rc and seems to be a good electronics battery.

13. Member
    I hope I'm not beating a dead horse, but you must check the voltage at the battery when your units are reading low volts. If the battery reads 9.7 volts when your units indicate 9.7, then indeed your battery is defective or undercharged.

14. Member
    yes i was reading the voltage on the battery post when the units were reading 9.7. Taking battery by local shop today for a load test and hopefully get a new one. The other 2 batteries on the charger are fine so I hope its the battery.

15. Member
    dropped the battery off. they are going to do a load test and let me know what they find. im guessing either battery or charger. my charger says it can do the agm and flooded at the same time. its a xps 5/5/5 from bass pro. which i believe is made by pro mariner.

16. Member
    battery tested bad. put new crown 31dc130 in last night. charger was green this morning. will put electronics on this weekend to see what it shows as well as voltmeter.