Thread: Oil

Oil

how much oil does this motor use The boat I looking at has g2 and I know nothing about them. Have always run Sho

2. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Relative to other 2-strokes, about the least in the industry. I have a 250 G1 and used 6 gallons of oil this year. That’s approximately 70 hours of operation, a fair bit of it on Lake Erie. A G2 uses less oil than a G1. Pretty hard to give a more definitive answer than that. I might add that I have paid on average about $30-31 a gallon for full synthetic XD-100 oil. So I used $180 or so of oil this year. The G2 also has an external oil tank (mounted on the engine), so dead easy to keep filled.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

3. Member
    From what I have heard from guys around hear about 1 gallon of oil per 1 tank of fuel.
    2004 Ranger 521VX with 2019 Evinrude G2 250 H.O.

4. Member
    So I'll use less oil if I have a 100 gal tank compared to a 50gal?? It really depends how you run the boat because the fuel to oil mix ratio varies depending on rpm, it may be as lean as 100-1 at idle. This is why they don't smoke as much and run better a low rpms than a premix at 50-1. I have a 250 G1 and love it.
    2000 STRATOS 20SS EXTREME
    2011 EVINRUDE ETEC 250 HO
    HELIX 10 AND 12 SI
    10' BLADES
    ULTREX/ I PILOT LINK
    HUMMINBIRD 360

5. Member
    The simple FACTS are that what you spend on XD-100 oil in a year's boating will be similar to what the oil and filter changes will cost for a 4-Stroke. Personally I find it easier too to unscrew the oil cap and re-fill the oil tank then it is to drain, remove and replace filter and then re-fill with oil on another brand.

6. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    Not to mention the G2 has cleaner emissions than a 4 stroke.....

Quote Originally Posted by Huey View Post
    Personally I find it easier too to unscrew the oil cap and re-fill the oil tank then it is to drain, remove and replace filter and then re-fill with oil on another brand.

Not only that but you end up with a used oil filter plus 4 to 8 quarts of black dirty 4-stroke oil that has to be disposed of in an environmentally safe manner. That means a separate trip to the auto store or recycling center. More time and effort needed to be spent by 4-stroke owner.
    -----

A Technical troubleshooter possessing more tools than talent !

8. Member
    Yes mate and as you well know, and as Bassmeister pointed out, the EPA emissions of a G2 account for the oil it uses-that is the oil is included in the cleanest outboard engine on the planet emissions. The 4-Stroke manufacturers are very lucky that they do not have to prove to the EPA that every drop of used sump oil is disposed of correctly and environmentally friendly. As you would also have seen way back in the early days of E-TEC, the test tank test that was done on a G1 90HP and a 4-Stroke 90HP and how the water in each test tank was as clean as each other but of interest was the amount of oil the 4-Stroke used. For some reason people think 4-Stroke outboards do not use oil when running hard. Let alone "make" oil in some applications.
    Last edited by Huey; 11-12-2017 at 08:15 PM.