Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar

Best baits for low 50's to high 40's water temp?

What does everyone throw that fishes late into the air and what do you concentrate on ? Drop=offs or weeds ,rockpiles? I fish till ice comes in and I can't go no more but it's been tough out there for me lately
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years

2. Moderator
    Rocks and weeds with silver buddies for smallies.

Quote Originally Posted by twitch View Post
    What does everyone throw that fishes late into the air and what do you concentrate on ? Drop=offs or weeds ,rockpiles? I fish till ice comes in and I can't go no more but it's been tough out there for me lately
    It might still be a little too warm, but I use spoons, buddies, jigs, spinnerbaits and jerkbaits. I use the buddies and the spoons on drop offs and the other lures shallow near weeds and rocks.
    Fart proudly. Author, Benjamin Franklin.

1998 SKEETER ZX 202-C
    150 V-Max TRP
    MinnKota Ultrex-112. All paid with cash of course!

Look for bait and drop a silver buddy down there. Circle around the bait, slowly expanding your circle looking for arches.

They were on the chatterbait really good last weekend .. spinnerbait and jerkbaits worked ok... oddly top water got some good fish last weekend with the water right at 50

Never caught a dam thing but weeds on a silver buddy.. someone is going to have to give me a lesson some day

6. Member
    We have been doing good with the - 1 in 5-7 ft. of water. Also we use the BPS. egg in gold, the small one...Have not been out after this COLD spell

8. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    What's that bait a topwater.....lmao I caught them sliding a worm off the ice and have them hitting it

Quote Originally Posted by twitch View Post
    What's that bait a topwater.....lmao I caught them sliding a worm off the ice and have them hitting it
    Yes a plopper ... they ate it good last week.. not so good this week... had made a cast thinking it would skid across the ice but it punched through and ì had to go get it lol

Not sure why it doesn’t play the volume .. the noise of the ice breaking made a guy in a house come out look at me and just shake his head lol

10. Member
    Only place I can count on catching fish this late would be the Mystic lake lower section , slow roll a spinner bait right on the 20ft+ drop off at the bottom , you tend to loose baits tho in the wood ... the bass don't fight they just come right up.
    ​BULLET 21XRS 250 SHO

Nobody ever believes me but crank baits rule this time of year. You get them down and then just reel them slowly back to the boat.

12. Member
    Water temps between 48-52 is PRIME crank bait time! Just fish it low and steady near wood or rock. I really like the old fire tiger color in stained water or anything shad like in clear.
    Phillip "Wade" Norris
    2015 Ranger Z520C
    250 Merc Optimax Pro XS (S# 2B113454)
    25P Fury - 4 blade all holes open

13. Member
    Red Eye Shad, Shad Rap & chatterbait have been hot for me the past couple weekends. My buddy was catching them pretty good on a blade bait also...Riley

Got some newer things to try for this weekend if the wind calms down .. gonna try like hell to get a blade bite going .. never caught a thing on silver or brass buddy’s

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Bass View Post
    Nobody ever believes me but crank baits rule this time of year. You get them down and then just reel them slowly back to the boat.
    Shush........

16. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    got out for a few hours this morn it was chilly 29 when I put in but no wind only caught 4 pickerel no bass, but I'll keep at it and maybe move to shallower dirtier water too.

Thanks to Everette I now own 15 bucks worth of BPS Eggs..They catch the crap out of the pickerel here

Hooked this carp with a jerk bait in the top of the back facing away so he had full power to fight...Really thought I was on my bass of the year..Fun fight but a little bit of a let down

IMG_2890.jpg

Just cant seem to find the giants on the jerkbait this year....But for late November I will take it!!

IMG_1051.jpg

18. Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by JerryT View Post
    Thanks to Everette I now own 15 bucks worth of BPS Eggs..They catch the crap out of the pickerel here

Hooked this carp with a jerk bait in the top of the back facing away so he had full power to fight...Really thought I was on my bass of the year..Fun fight but a little bit of a let down

IMG_2890.jpg

Just cant seem to find the giants on the jerkbait this year....But for late November I will take it!!

IMG_1051.jpg

For a minute there I thought the second pic was an oompa loompa.

Ranger Z521 Mercury 250 Pro XS

Coming from a guy that is the actual hieght of one that stone thrown doesn’t hurt that much lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast