Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Could be coming over to the Bug side

Guys, Need your help. Ive been in a Ranger Z521c for about 2 years now. My ride is not a bad boat, just looking for a little more speed and a better ride. I'm scheduled for a demo ride in both the ZX250 and FX21 ( both 2018 models ). Id love to hear some comparison comments on both or either models. I was looking at the Phoenix for a while, but just not my cup of tea as far as quality goes. Thanks in advance for all your comments.

2. Member
    stick w/ the 21' as it will give you the best of both worlds and you wont sacrifice much speed. what do you get out of the ranger in speed?

3. Member
    Im getting 68 with 2 guys and tournament loaded.

4. Member
    My tournament partner and I both have Skeeter's. We primarily use his he has an FX20 with a 250 SHO. Tournament load with two power poles and three trolling motor batteries we get 72 mph. I have a TZX 190 with a 175 SHO I came over from Triton. I can tell you the Skeeter has I much better ride than most boats. No Chine walk whatsoever. They also turn on a dime and stay on plane while doing so. The only cork I had to learn was trimming way down when slowing down if not Skeeter's tend to porpoise.

5. Member
    Does the new hull is in FX still wanna porpoise bad when not trimmed all the way down at low speeds.

6. Member
    The new FX is a smmoth hull, but the 250 is very good as well. Both will run 70-72 loaded. As far as propoising, thats operator controlled 99% of the time. I posted a vid a few weeks ago 17mph no bounce unless I caused it.

7. Member
    that isn't bad speed for the ranger. my old 488vs would do 65 w/ a 200.

8. Member
    I've ridden in lots of different brands of boats and drove most of them too. I have owned several brands of boats as well...Pro craft, Lowe, Key West Stealth, Big-O, Legend, and now a Skeeter zx225 2016 model with the sho 225....The Skeeter by far is the easiest to drive. It practically steers itself at any speed when you get a bit of saddle time...The turns are simply exhilarating!..on a dime! ...just have to remember to tell your passenger to hang on before you rip the wheel around at 60 plus mph...with out slowing down first...with no wash out either. It stops dead from 65 mph with very little wash over the back too...I get 71 mph with stock prop and hydro jacker with two men, full tank, and lots of gear. It by far is also the best bang for my buck spent too...The worst bang for my buck by the way was my 2013 Legend Alpha 211....The only boat that would run over 75 mph and was stable in rough water that I have ever owned was my 2003 Big-O. 20ft with a 250hp Rude. They are all hand made to order from Sebring Florida (use to be located in Okeechobee City)..in a small shop that produces probably a dozen or so a year. This boat brand is a head turner on and off the water. They can be ordered with all salt water hardware for the best of the flats and bass fishing also..have patience if you order one though! At my last glance, the boat would be touched by only three sets of very talented hands from start to finish. I fished many a tourney in my day in Florida while owning the Big-O and left many a Ranger behind in my spray. Lake -O can stir up a big dangerous whollup when the weather turns too. I never had to worry even if it was a 20 ft. boat. I feel the same about my Skeeter... aside from its lack of originality with only so many color options of which to choose(ZX model)..I'm a lot older now so that doesn't matter as much as it use too! LOL...lets just consider the ZX model a wolf in sheep's clothing for the sake of it! Run this boat like you stole it and you'll love it!

9. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by GA Ranger View Post
    Guys, Need your help. Ive been in a Ranger Z521c for about 2 years now. My ride is not a bad boat, just looking for a little more speed and a better ride. I'm scheduled for a demo ride in both the ZX250 and FX21 ( both 2018 models ). Id love to hear some comparison comments on both or either models. I was looking at the Phoenix for a while, but just not my cup of tea as far as quality goes. Thanks in advance for all your comments.
    What is wrong with the quality of a Phoenix? They seem like one of the best from what I have seen.

I hit 72.4 today with a tournament load with the new T-2 running 6100 rpms..5th dot..I think... Not gonna go wrong with either but I'd lean towards the fx... My next purchase will be...
    MattandAmber Lawler on Facebook
    Matt Lawler HF on Facebook
    matt_lawler_hf on Instagram

"There ain't a price on stupid. Stupid comes for free."

Jonathan Hillstrand

11. Member
    I didn't find anything wrong with the quality of the bird. It looked quite nice to me. The ones that I looked at very very closely all had a few very minor gel coat flaws just as most boats do. For me it was about bang for the buck and Skeeter has this down pat with the ZX series. I have fished a lot in my day...and always see a lot of older Skeeters still on the water looking quite nice...this also helped aid me in my decision. The bird hasn't been around long enough to be able to observe the same. One more thing...years ago when I had my Big-O...the bugs were the only brand of boat that could keep up with me when it got rough and tough on Okeechobee...and when it came to handing in tight spots like ripping down a narrow winding air boat trail through reeds in the shallows on plane in average 3-4 ft. depth. One of my fellow club members had a Bullet with a 300 merc...and another had a Gambler...those boats were a jet rocket on smooth to slightly choppy water capable of speeds in access of 90-100 mph. When it got rough...they got beat up...I am happy with 71. Simply put...I am not knocking Ranger either... at all. Their fit and finish is hard to beat...even at present time standards. They seem to me to be more of a luxury craft style bass boat and their price reflects this... If I would want a luxury boat...then a pontoon would be my choice. I hope that you have the best of luck in your decision making.

12. Member
    The phoenix is not a bad quality boat by no standards. Ive spent the last 10 years in a Ranger, the one I run now is a 2015- z521c and love the fit & finish. I took 2 hrs and went thru the new PHX21 with a fine tooth comb. It seemed to be laid out pretty well but there was a few things I didn't care for. But I'm comparing everything to my Ranger. I do like the Skeeter FX21. Im actually going to demo it next weekend. How does the FX21 ride compare to the ZX250 ride.

13. Member
    I have not ridden in a current FX21...most report that it rides better than the zx...it seemed to me that both were about the same when I was looking at both while shopping...just a lot more "bling" and more ability to personalize on the fx...others that have ridden both mostly say the fx rides better...personally I can't see how that's possible.

14. Banned
    Had the same dilemma...long story short ....I chose the new 520l...primarily due to the great resale on my 2012 521....that said a 520 is at least as big as a fx 21 and many run in the 72 to 74 range. Skeeter was a softer ride tho....

15. Member
    my personal best today out of my 'ol '09 21i class

just me and light on fuel. it sure was fun

16. Member
    5800 rpm

Quote Originally Posted by edw View Post
    I have not ridden in a current FX21...most report that it rides better than the zx...it seemed to me that both were about the same when I was looking at both while shopping...just a lot more "bling" and more ability to personalize on the fx...others that have ridden both mostly say the fx rides better...personally I can't see how that's possible.
    It rides better because there is an F there instead of a Z...
    MattandAmber Lawler on Facebook
    Matt Lawler HF on Facebook
    matt_lawler_hf on Instagram

"There ain't a price on stupid. Stupid comes for free."

Jonathan Hillstrand

18. Member
    How did the test ride go Ga Ranger???

19. Member
    The demo ride went great. I drove both the FX21 and the ZX250. The lake was a little rough which is what I wanted. I can truly say there IS a difference in the ride. Here are the things I found were different.
    1. The FX ride was better than the ZX. Not by a whole lot but I could defiantly feel the difference. The FX just felt like a heavier boat going through the chop.
    2. The FX hull will turn on a dime at 45-50 mph. The ZX felt like it wanted to slip a little.
    3. Both both will flat out fly with the SHO on them.
    4. I didn't care for the new deck layout in the ZX. But thats just a preference thing.

I will be testing the Legend V20 next week. I will be pulling the trigger on either very soon.

20. Member
    sounds like a bug is n your future

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast