7 Pedal reed cages

I have a 1999 225 Promax ser# 0G857204 and in the past I have cracked a couple in the corners. I have replaced the cracked ones but was wondering if you can still use the cracked ones? If you can what kind of performance lose would it be. They are getting a little hard to come by anymore. Thanks,Billy

2. Member
    The reeds seal to allow the downstroke of the piston to pressurize the crankcase for that cylinder, so that when the intake port is uncovered, the fresh fuel/air charge goes in and pushes the remaining exhaust gas out the other side. If you have one that is chipped, cracked, etc, it won't seal correctly, and you will get less fresh air / fuel into the motor hurting power, not to mention idle and such. There are a lot of 2.5 racing motors still around, have you tried all the usual suspects like Boyesen and such? Land & Sea used to make some as well although I don't know if they are still in business.
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

3. Member
    I would put a set of either Chris Carson or TDR carbon fiber reeds in it and be done with it...
    Bruce Phillips
    1995 190 DC champion ......1995 200 xri merc

4. Member
    The reed blocks are cracked not the reeds on the outside corner. I believe it to be some what common if not tightened down on manifold correctly.

typically from over tightening.

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    +1

If cracked, they should be REPLACED. It would be a real shame if they broke apart and ended up in the crankcase/cylinder.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    You can have them welded and surfaced.

8. Member
    Cracking occurs a lot of times from reusing the intake manifold gasket. The gasket will indent in the area around the reed cage where the bolt comes thru to fasten the cage to the intake. It is almost impossible to tighten the cage the correct amount without cracking with a dented gasket.

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I certainly wouldn't recommend re-using those gaskets.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

10. Member
    I have always used New gaskets . I think it was you Don that told me to tighten manifold first then reed cages and haven't cracked one since. I was tightening reed cages to manifold then installing on motor to begin with. I've got a friend in town that thinks he can weld them. I had 5 extra cages to start and have never run them cracked as far as I know. Thanks for replies