Question Mercury 300xs low on RPM

I have a 2008 Mercury 300xs Optimax. Serial# 1E003824. Prop is a bullet cut performer 4 30 pitch. I noticed two weeks ago that I could only turn around 5100 rpm at wot. It turned around 5900 before so I’ve lost 700 rpm and around 3 mph. I’m running it on a 20xd Bullet by the way. So I changed the plugs and checked the spark and coils were all fring. I took it back to the lake and still down on rpm so I checked compression and it was good. Engine doesn’t have a miss and seems to come out of the hole fine so I tried another Tach and it read the same. I live in Knoxville TN and not sure where to take it. It’s about 3 hours to get to European Marine but I’m thinking it may be worth it. By the way I have about 200 hours on the merc. Thanks for any advice you all may have.

2. Member
    Look and be sure the sound deadener in the cowl is not sucking down in the hole cut in the air handler. Common problem on 300XS motors.. Another thing that is a worst case possibility is a turned sleeve.

3. Member
    Hope you get it figured out. If the above doesn't fix your problem, IMO, the best shop in our area is down at Bunch Marine in Harriman.
    Contact info, etc.: https://bunchmarine.com/

+1 for Bunch Marine!

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." ~Doug Larson

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    All good advice above. If you don't get to the bottom of it, feel free to give us a holler and we'll get you scheduled in and get it checked out.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor