Thread: Ultrex= LOVE !!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    Ive got twin 8ft blades and 36volt ultrex on the fx20. Ive gotta say with all the varying lakes in this region, both are still awesome to have depending on what lake you head out too. I couldn't imagine not having either anymore after having them. I prefer the poles for 8ft and less / boat ramps / fishing in flats (the boat doesn't swing into the wind) and the ultrex for any reason you need the boat to hold a position. I love being able to fish slower in the wind on main lake structure. Also re-tying or eating a snack is so much better now. the power steering is sweet in that the motor always stays pointed in whatever direction you left it and being able to instantly change the direction 180* with no pressure is nice around boat docks or getting a lure unhung off a stump or something. IMO the ultrex is worth more than the price its sold for.

Quote Originally Posted by rodz View Post
    Same here. I'm thinking it will put a bite on power pole sales.
    Not so sure. They each serve a different need. If you like to fish of shore structure and work a spot, pole are likely useless. Conversely, if you site fish in shallow water, an Ultrex is not the right tool. While I may have them some day, I can't justify poles but I love my Ultrex and make great use of it.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

3. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Boondock View Post
    use you remote. Take the boat out 20' out and 10' right or left and spot lock
    put trailer in the water then use remote to pull boat up to dock. Hope in and pull boat onto trailer
    you have more faith in electrical components then I do.

4. Bringer Of The 'Bird sfw1960's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TroyBoy30 View Post
    loving mine. ive always fished bow into the wind since we fish offshore 99% of the time and cast to waypoints, but it's actually allowed me to fish differently when the wind is really blowing. I'll spot lock up wind from my waypoint and fish from the back of the boat casting with the wind. it's awesome
    Don't even notice that servo noise like you were concerned about, huh??
    Robert
    Newaygo CTY, MI
    Helix12MSI G2N v1.84/Helix10MSI G2N v1.84/Helix10MDI G2N v1.84/ASGPSHSx2/iPilotLinkv2.15/2.04RC-1+2/

5. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by sfw1960 View Post

I hope to hear an ultrex in person so I can compare it to my ex terrova. That thing was loud and drove me crazy to listen to.

6. Member
    I had the terrova before my ultrex and I can tell you that my ultrex is so much more quieter than the terrova. I think bass can hear the terrova from a mile away when you turn the head.
    Quote Originally Posted by grout-scout View Post
    I hope to hear an ultrex in person so I can compare it to my ex terrova. That thing was loud and drove me crazy to listen to.
    2004 Stratos 295 Pro XL
    2004 Mercury 3.0 L EFI 200 HP SN: 0T908560
    Standard/Servicemaster Lower 859399T13

7. Banned
    It’s not that bad but it ain’t silent. I don’t think the fish I’m fishing for out in 30ft notice though

8. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by kercha83 View Post
    I had the terrova before my ultrex and I can tell you that my ultrex is so much more quieter than the terrova. I think bass can hear the terrova from a mile away when you turn the head.

This is why I was hoping for a true cable with some kind of motor attachment only used for spotlocking. Some the lakes I fish are shallow brushy stump filled messes. That dang rrrrrrrr-rrrrrrrrr-rrrrrrrrrr-rrrrrrrrrr of the Terrova has me scared of the ultrex. If I fished like Troy does, it wouldn’t bother me. I’ll keep waiting for the next version I guess.

9. Member
    Don't do this, no matter what the commercials show... Don't rely on ipilot to keep your boat safely unattended.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boondock View Post
    use you remote. Take the boat out 20' out and 10' right or left and spot lock
    put trailer in the water then use remote to pull boat up to dock. Hope in and pull boat onto trailer

Quote Originally Posted by kandkkustomzhydrographics View Post
    you have more faith in electrical components then I do.
    You just don't like to swim
    I got nothin

11. Bringer Of The 'Bird sfw1960's Avatar
    I fish in under 8 FOW often, and walleyes don't seem to mind any servo noise....
    Robert
    Newaygo CTY, MI
    Helix12MSI G2N v1.84/Helix10MSI G2N v1.84/Helix10MDI G2N v1.84/ASGPSHSx2/iPilotLinkv2.15/2.04RC-1+2/

12. Banned
    I fish in under 8 FOW often, and walleyes don't seem to mind any servo noise....

Walleyes aren’t sophisticated like bass.

13. Bringer Of The 'Bird sfw1960's Avatar
    You know it Mike, I fish 'em both ...

But bass just don't taste right to me....
    Last edited by sfw1960; 11-12-2017 at 02:07 PM.
    Robert
    Newaygo CTY, MI

14. USAF and DOD retired Phoenix Jim's Avatar
    Bet pros sponsored by motorguide like KVD are hating their trolling motors right now

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Jim View Post
    Bet pros sponsored by motorguide like KVD are hating their trolling motors right now
    Anyone on the same level as KVD could switch from Motorguide to Minn Kota today with a phone call. He'd have a free Ultrex at his door next day if he wanted one, no questions asked.
    2015 Yellowfin 21 with 2014 Yamaha SHO 250

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Jim View Post

What does the Ultrex do that the Xi5 doesn't? I've owned both and own an Ultrex on my current boat but I would have no issues running an Xi5. The Ultrex seems more durable but costs a lot more. The Xi5 anchors and holds a spot every bit as well as an Ultrex. Feature-wise I don't think the gap is as wide as people suggest.

If my sponsor asked me to run a Motorguide on their dime I would have ZERO issues running one.

Quote Originally Posted by rodz View Post
    Same here. I'm thinking it will put a bite on power pole sales.

No way....two pole and an Ultrex......different tools for different jobs
    Bass Cat Caracal STS / Mercury 300 ProXS
    Jayco Northpoint 377 RLBH
    GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    #ChargeOn #HereWeGo

18. Banned
    I’m waiting for the trolling motor power pole all in one unit. Drop your trolling motor and drive your trolling motor spike into the bottom. Reckon I should patent the idea?

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill2e View Post
    No way....two pole and an Ultrex......different tools for different jobs
    I'm glad I didn't get power poles. Ultrex does everything I need.

Quote Originally Posted by grout-scout View Post
    I’m waiting for the trolling motor power pole all in one unit. Drop your trolling motor and drive your trolling motor spike into the bottom. Reckon I should patent the idea?
    I want one!
    1994 201 Champ re-powered with a 250 HO G2 E250LHAFA 05438419

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast