Wet Sanding the Champion

Have worked every afternoon this week for at least three hours wet sanding the Champion. Did this last spring and it looked good when I finished, but it really began chalking over the summer on the top cap where its black with silver flake. I'm not sure if I didn't go deep enough or if I just need to do a better job at keeping it waxed. Thought I was. I put the first coat of Pro Tec sealant on yesterday and will finish with the second coat this afternoon. Should I put a coat of wax...say Meguiar's with carnauba on top of the Pro tec? I definitely don't want to have to do this again next year.

2. Member
    Do you store it in the sun or well-covered? If in the sun, forget about the sanding. The sun will undo all of your work pretty quickly. UV is hard on anything, especially gelcoat.
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

3. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    keep it covered and you can put on another coat of sealant in about a month ,I wet sanded mine and it was a darker color and it lasted7yrs before I started to see some haze and just re-did it 3 coats of sealant she is as smooth as a babies bottom, I store mine outside even in the snow and winter temps and no problem , never used wax on mine after the protect sealant. I use Bass Boat Saver in between to keep it up and cleanAttachment 303134 Attachment 303136
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years

Quote Originally Posted by dwoodfin View Post
    Have worked every afternoon this week for at least three hours wet sanding the Champion. Did this last spring and it looked good when I finished, but it really began chalking over the summer on the top cap where its black with silver flake. I'm not sure if I didn't go deep enough or if I just need to do a better job at keeping it waxed. Thought I was. I put the first coat of Pro Tec sealant on yesterday and will finish with the second coat this afternoon. Should I put a coat of wax...say Meguiar's with carnauba on top of the Pro tec? I definitely don't want to have to do this again next year.
    More than likely you didn’t go deep enough on the original sanding. Be careful goin back over and over sanding. Also put all the ProTec on you want to. I put it on my top cap on my personal boat bout every month....
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

5. Member
    I just did the same to my boat this weekend. Does the Protec Sealant act as a wax, or should a wax be applied also?

My boat is kept in an enclosed garage out of the sun. However, I have put 180 hours on my motor since feb. so its in the sun alot.
    Quote Originally Posted by wbrown View Post
    I just did the same to my boat this weekend. Does the Protec Sealant act as a wax, or should a wax be applied also?
    This is basically the question I was asking.

ProTec is all u need.
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com