Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Retirement / Fishing

Im looking at retirement soon & im thinking of moving from cincinnati to ky/tenn area for year round fishing ....What cities n Lakes do you guys recommend down south w/o having to go all the way to Florida .....

2. Member
    East Tn you have Douglas lake and Cherokee lake very close to each other. Good sized lakes about 30 minutes apart.
    2005 21XD W/ 2005 MERC 250XS BULLET TOTAL PERFORMANCE BOAT!!

3. Banned
    The Tennessee River is 650 miles of navigable water with nice towns along the length. Every lake is just magnificent too. Knoxville, Chattanooga and Huntsville are major cities with all that comes with big towns. There are other tributory TVA lakes in beautiful places like Dandridge, Tn, Hiawassee, Ga and Blue Ridge, Ga.

We moved to Wilson Lake at Muscle Shoals. The houses on this lake are pretty incredible and we have 3 Robert Trent Jones golf courses--2 on my street. Our lake elevation is completely stable which allows us to have fixed boathouses at our front door. Property prices are low and taxes are even lower. Alabama has no state income taxes on defined pensions or social security. We have good music, hospitals and a central location to 3 major cities.

You just need to take a few weekend trips to see what cities fit your needs.

4. Member
    Can you fish year during the winter months .... Thats my main goal .....Warmer weather in the winter but yet we can travel back home to visit ..... Oh I see wilson is down in Alabama now ..... I guess im thinking Tenn area as farr as winter Temp ....
    Last edited by bulletbob20xd; 11-10-2017 at 01:29 PM.

5. Member
    Muscle shoals in Alabama would be my vote. Pickwick, Wilson, and Wheeler all within 20 minutes of each other. Other than that I’d look at Chattanooga in east Tn.

6. Member
    Thanks for the info ..... Looking at a map thats a do-able location with access back home to visit .... We have about a year or so to figure things out ....

7. Member
    I Semi-retired to Sardis in SE Ok......Great Place, Great Fishing and Cheap Land!!!
    I can Fish and Deer Hunt by driving 1/4 mile....and yes, there are huge deer here!
    Here's a Buck in my pasture 3 years ago I shot with my Sony at 10PM.....never saw him again :(

Attached Images Attached Images
    20XDC Bullet/Modified Merc 260
    295TF Charger/Merc 225X-Sold
    20' Contender Pickle Fork/Merc EFI Bridgeport-Sold
    18' Stratus with Sommerford Tunnel Vee Hull/2.4 EFI Merc High Perf-Sold
    Freedom 240DLX Toon/Merc 115
    10' Cougar Cub/Merc 25 on the Bottle
    18" Homebuilt Tunnel/.021 OS Max Outboard on 50% Nitro with a Pipe

That is a nice buck, WillySteve! And you do live on a gem of a lake!

2008 BULLET 21XD 2007 Merc 300xs

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
    The Tennessee River is 650 miles of navigable water with nice towns along the length. Every lake is just magnificent too. Knoxville, Chattanooga and Huntsville are major cities with all that comes with big towns. There are other tributory TVA lakes in beautiful places like Dandridge, Tn, Hiawassee, Ga and Blue Ridge, Ga.

We moved to Wilson Lake at Muscle Shoals. The houses on this lake are pretty incredible and we have 3 Robert Trent Jones golf courses--2 on my street. Our lake elevation is completely stable which allows us to have fixed boathouses at our front door. Property prices are low and taxes are even lower. Alabama has no state income taxes on defined pensions or social security. We have good music, hospitals and a central location to 3 major cities.

You just need to take a few weekend trips to see what cities fit your needs.
    +1 here. Anywhere in the northern third of Alabama, Ga, S.C, or eastern Tenn or western N.C. is good year round fishing. And you have your choice of highland, lowland, or in between lakes.

10. Member
    You need to look at southern middle Tenn. were we live im a little over 1 1/2 from guntersville,1 hr from nickajack 1 1/2 from chick 2 hrs to Kentucky 15 min from tims ford and woods reservoir 30 min from normandy less than hr from center hill and persy preist and under 2 from dale holler same for wheeler LOl And im can be to chatanooga and huntsville and murfreesboro in an 1 and almost 2 hrs to Nashville. Now it does cold for me here but we got winter trails alot of times on these lakes.

i would avoid the SC lakes.WAYYYY TOOO CROWDED! Lakes like Keowee, Hartwell, Russell, Clark Hill all get absolutely pounded to death these days. I know you didnt mention those, but i would leave out that area. I have fished these for years and i have avoided them the last few.
    2022 Blazer 675 Ultimate
    2022 Merc 300 Pro XS
    2017 YZ250F
    Kenny Hollingsworth<<<<<<<<<MY NAME!
    828 674 6752
    Hendersonville NC<<<<MY LOCATION!!

12. Member
    I've about fished every lake in Texas through the years and many enough to know like the back of my hand!! Lived an hour and 15min from Fork and was fishing it before it had ramps open....same with Ray Roberts, (we call RayBob), as I only lived 20 mins from it!!
    Once I moved to Sardis Lake I was done! I don't even fish McGee Creek Lake and it's close by......also many times during the week I'm the only one on the water which I love-it!!!
    I realize that most have their own favorite lake but this one is definitely a mind changer
    JS

WillySteve, you’re sure lucky to live on Sardis. That buddy of mine that lives in Panola, says Sardis is his favorite.

14. Member
    Randy, Yes I truly love the whole area here!
    Amazing that it's only 2.5 hours from my old Texas stomping grounds and I never even knew it existed until around '05!!!!
    I'll be hangin' my hat here till I die ;)
    BTW, Have you planned a trip here yet? I've already told you the motel room's on me!!!!!
    20XDC Bullet/Modified Merc 260
    295TF Charger/Merc 225X-Sold
    20' Contender Pickle Fork/Merc EFI Bridgeport-Sold
    18' Stratus with Sommerford Tunnel Vee Hull/2.4 EFI Merc High Perf-Sold
    Freedom 240DLX Toon/Merc 115
    10' Cougar Cub/Merc 25 on the Bottle
    18" Homebuilt Tunnel/.021 OS Max Outboard on 50% Nitro with a Pipe

15. Member
    Blue Ridge, Georgia area. It's where Georgia, Tennessee, and North Carolina meet. You can fish Lakes: Blue Ridge, Nottely, Chatuge, Burton, Carters, Lanier in Georgia, Parksville and Chickamauga in Tennessee, and Hiawasee in North Carolina.

Quote Originally Posted by QuickBullet View Post
    Randy, Yes I truly love the whole area here!
    Amazing that it's only 2.5 hours from my old Texas stomping grounds and I never even knew it existed until around '05!!!!
    I'll be hangin' my hat here till I die ;)
    BTW, Have you planned a trip here yet? I've already told you the motel room's on me!!!!!
    Brother, when I get things lined out to where I can make the trip, I’ll definitely get ahold of you! That offer is and will be greatly appreciated!!

17. Member
    Check out Fairfield Glade TN...you'll see what I mean if you ever get a chance to go there and scope it out.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by coolwhip View Post
    Check out Fairfield Glade TN...you'll see what I mean if you ever get a chance to go there and scope it out.
    We've been there yrs ago .......My aunt was a realtor there .... I will check it out for sure .... So farr down below nashville is looking pretty good as farr as winter temps ....Altho my wife would like a place closer to a beach ....Thanks for all the suggestions

19. Member
    A sand bar on a lake or river makes a nice beach

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bulletbob20xd View Post
    We've been there yrs ago .......My aunt was a realtor there .... I will check it out for sure .... So farr down below nashville is looking pretty good as farr as winter temps ....Altho my wife would like a place closer to a beach ....Thanks for all the suggestions
    Closer to a beach in tenn/ky? My old man plays golf year round down there. He lives in the glade.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast