SS Edmund Fitzgerald

SS Edmund Fitzgerald was an American Great Lakes freighter that sank in a Lake Superior storm on November 10, 1975, with the loss of the entire crew of 29.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6DUFPNILvM

FIFY

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Iowa Bass Hunter View Post

FIFY
    Probably my favorite Gordon Lightfoot song.
    Boatless Bank Trash for now

Man...that'll get ya.

We rented a house in East China, MI right on the St. Clair River. I loved to watch the lake freighters go by. In the warmer months the guys would have grills going on the rear deck. Some would string Christmas lights up later in the season and look pretty nice going past at night. In the colder months, no, I'd have to pass on that job. The Arthur M. Anderson went by several times. Old boats but still moving. Fascinating history on the lakes.

Lu Bedevia
    1997 Ranger R82 Sport
    1997 Mercury 150 XR6

7. Indiana Bass Club Moderator billius's Avatar
    We go up to the Soo every year, maybe 3-4 times. Love to watch the big boats. The Arthur M. Anderson isn't being used this year, but hopefully she will fit out this coming spring. If you've never visited the Great Lakes Shipwreck Museum at Whitefish point in the Upper Peninsula, you need to see it. They have a great display in honor of the Fitz. Its a very somber experience.
    Bill Gard
    Richmond, Indiana
    2015 BassCat Caracal/225ProXs
    TEAM SHERM'S MARINE
    Of course I talk to myself...sometimes I need expert advice.

8. "OVER THE LINE SMOKEY!" headhigh's Avatar
    There's a great documentary on the Edmund Fitzgerald. I believe it was done by the Discovery channel.
    1998 Ranger R93
    1998 Mercury 200 EFI

"Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness."

9. Member
    Yes, the Gordon Lightfoot song with a video will send shivers down your spine.

Quote Originally Posted by headhigh View Post
    There's a great documentary on the Edmund Fitzgerald. I believe it was done by the Discovery channel.
    I've seen it up on youtube and watched it before. I agree it was really well done.

RIP and prayers to the families of the 29 that lost their lives on that fateful evening.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lu Bedevia View Post
    That's a gripping video. Thanks for sharing.

Sings in my head, on the way to the ramp when I fish any of the great lakes.

15. Member
    Quite a story, the song is on of my favorites.

back in H.S. I worked as a deck hand on a commercial fishing boat on lake Superior,my Captain had sailed all over the world, he told me that a gail on the great lakes is worse than any gail you encounter on oceans. from what I remember, he said salt water being heavier the waves have more swail where the great lakes being fresh water will break over a bow. I know that summer there was 3 times where I about stained my underwear on storms that came out of nowhere.

17. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by billius View Post
    We go up to the Soo every year, maybe 3-4 times. Love to watch the big boats. The Arthur M. Anderson isn't being used this year, but hopefully she will fit out this coming spring. If you've never visited the Great Lakes Shipwreck Museum at Whitefish point in the Upper Peninsula, you need to see it. They have a great display in honor of the Fitz. Its a very somber experience.
    Ever been to Sturgeon Bay. There's a shipbuilder in the ship canal. The overall immensity of the ships when viewing them from the bow of my 20 footer is absolutely amazing. Really puts things in perspective, and the storm that took out the Edmund Fitzgerald must have been absolutely ferocious.

With the vast multitude of folks here I am really surprised that there are not any family members of the lost crew here on BBC.

19. Member
    Super nice museum me and the wife really enjoyed it.

20. Member
    Took my family there last summer and they loved it. It's quite an experience.

2005 Champion 198 DC Elite
    2005 Mercury Optimax-225hp (Serial#1B073011)