Yellow boat down

Took the boat in for service and my guy heard a small familiar squeak coming from the compressor. So fuel rails and injectors are off to Don Weed, new compressor coming, and no Gambler until probably Jan. Good thing he caught it. Guess I'm lucky it's duck season.

2. Member
    That Yellow and Black is the prettiest colors on a Gambler..

3. Member
    That's too bad. There are some mercury guys replacing there compressor every 200 or so hours whether it's blown or not. My 2008 250 pro xs is on its second compressor with the motor having 450 hours. Wondering if that's a good idea? It would keep the cost down to just the compressor. Seems people are only getting 200 to 300 hours on average out of them anyway.

4. Member
    Our dealership experience is the guys using opti/dfi oil are having far fewer compressor and powerhead problems than those using premium plus or other oils.

5. Member
    I've only got 270 hrs on it. It's a 300 XS so I have to use the Premium Plus. I think replacing the compressor as routine maintenance every 200 hrs might be the deal. Definitely cheaper.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Merc Doc View Post
    Our dealership experience is the guys using opti/dfi oil are having far fewer compressor and powerhead problems than those using premium plus or other oils.
    Well thats good to know. I though most guys were already using opti/dfi oil.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigmess View Post
    I've only got 270 hrs on it. It's a 300 XS so I have to use the Premium Plus. I think replacing the compressor as routine maintenance every 200 hrs might be the deal. Definitely cheaper.
    Yeah I think if I still have mine at 600 hrs. I'll probably replace the compressor. $700.00 upfront is better than $3,000 or more down the road!

8. Member
    Took the boat in for service and my guy heard a small familiar squeak coming from the compressor. So fuel rails and injectors are off to Don Weed, new compressor coming, and no Gambler until probably Jan. Good thing he caught it. Guess I'm lucky it's duck season.
    Is your guy Nelson ?
    Mike Matthews

U.S.N. 1963-1969

9. Member
    270 hours on it so that thing is worn out.. I think you need to just buy a new boat and sell me that Yeller and Black one!!!

I remember that boat when Preston had it built. It's good lookin that's for sure!

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Gambler View Post
    Is your guy Nelson ?
    Yes he is. He's the only guy that's worked on any of my boats over the years.

12. Member
    Yes he is. He's the only guy that's worked on any of my boats over the years.
    Nelson is a great guy. I will drag my Gambler to him for anything major, he works on my buddies (Mark Pimentel) Gambler Also
    Mike Matthews

U.S.N. 1963-1969

13. Member
    I remember him swapping out a lower unit on Mark's boat years ago. Will Coddington used to rave about running in Mark's boat.

14. Member
    I remember him swapping out a lower unit on Mark's boat years ago. Will Coddington used to rave about running in Mark's boat.
    Yeah he did a power head and lower unit for Mark. Nelson worked on my Evinrude on my Dyna-trak back in 2001. I haven't seen Will in years, how is he doing?
    Mike Matthews

U.S.N. 1963-1969

15. Member
    He's been better. Had a serious motorcycle accident. During his recovery he had a heart attack. I talked to him a month ago and he's doing a lot better.

16. Member
    WOW, I'm suppose to fish a tournament with Mark this weekend I'll get more info. from him.
    Mike Matthews

U.S.N. 1963-1969