Helix 10 and tranducers

I am thinking about upgrading to a helix 10 SI. I have never had a SI unit and think it would be a big help in locating fish. The unit comes with the SI transducer but will I also
    need a traduced for depth reading while on plan.

2. Member
    As long as you mount it correctly, it will give you on plane readings.
    2013 Pro Team 190
    2013 Mercury 115 Optimax Pro XS
    Minn Kota 70# Edge
    22p LightSpeed Prop
    Humminbird 898 at console
    Humminbird 598 at bow

^^^ That is true but if you fish stumpy waters you may want to pick up a 2D only transducer and an adapter cable (which I'm doing on my new Helix 10 SI install). You can use the 2D transducer for on plane readings and mount the SI transducer higher on the transom to help protect it (especially if it is one of the new Mega versions).
    2018 Skeeter MX1825 w/175 Yamaha 4-Stroke
    80# MK Ultrex w/ I-Pilot
    HB Helix 10 SI Mega, HB Helix 9 SI, Helix 9, Garmin 106SV
    USAF Ret

How important is it to have "on plane" depth readings? Seems everyone is always worried about it when trying to make a SI/DI ducer work for both idle and on plane readings. My thought is by the time you realize the reading on the graph goes from reading say 42' in the channel to saying 12' it's to late and you will be on a flat in 2' and stuck before you could react. Maybe it's just me but I would rather have it mounted to get a great SI reading while idling around and not reading while running. Then rely on my Lake Master mapping to keep me in a safe place to run the creek/river channels. Or whatever mapping works best on your lakes.
    2015 RT188 Mercury 4 Stroke Laser II 21P
    Helix 12/360 Imaging/Dual Helix 10's/Ultrex

5. Member
    Use an XNT-9-20 in addition with your SI transducer by adding the AS SIDB Y cable. This will allow for the use of both transducers without a switch. Just make sure your XNT-9-20 transducer is mounted correctly (for on plane readings) and you should be good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by tobin01 View Post
    Use an XNT-9-20 in addition with your SI transducer by adding the AS SIDB Y cable. This will allow for the use of both transducers without a switch. Just make sure your XNT-9-20 transducer is mounted correctly (for on plane readings) and you should be good to go.
    That is the older Y cable and discontinued. The current one is MSIDB Y and has to be used with a Helix MEGA SI unit. Can use either one for a non-MEGA SI Helix or number series.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

7. Member
    My bad...Wayne is correct and I should have remembered, as he was the one whom provided me the guidance to do exactly what you are asking to do. Thanks Wayne!

8. Member
    Ohio Archer mentioned 2d sonar and it made me think about how I fish stumps. I have a Helix 9 and a fortress 80 with US. Can I get a chip to add to run my helix transducer function thru fortrex and have my 360 hooked up too. In other words will I be able to split screen to show 2d sonar and 360 view at same time with that setup.

Quote Originally Posted by maxo View Post
    Ohio Archer mentioned 2d sonar and it made me think about how I fish stumps. I have a Helix 9 and a fortress 80 with US. Can I get a chip to add to run my helix transducer function thru fortrex and have my 360 hooked up too. In other words will I be able to split screen to show 2d sonar and 360 view at same time with that setup.
    I run 2D on the left side of my Helix 12 and 360 on the right. About 30% is 2D and the 360 uses the other 70%. My 2D is ran through the US2 transducer in my Ultrex and it was the same on my Fortrex.
    2015 RT188 Mercury 4 Stroke Laser II 21P
    Helix 12/360 Imaging/Dual Helix 10's/Ultrex

10. Member
    I highly recommend the SBB if you are gonna Mount to the transom. I have my onix mounted to one so I can get 2d on plane reading. It will kick up the transducer if you ever hit anything

https://www.transducershieldandsaver...-back-bracket/