Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned

Where doesn't an RT188 leak when it rains?

Good grief this boat sucks at keeping the compartments dry! Gotta figure something else out, this things gets soaked in a rain.

2. Member
    I'm with you there, I have the rp190 and the main storage compartment may as well be a livewell when it rains or if I wash the inside of the boat.

3. Member
    My under seat storage is the only place that stays dry. Rod box doesn’t get too bad but there will be times I have water standing in the side compartments. Very annoying. Shoot, my live well probably stays drier than my compartments most the time
    2022 Skeeter FXR20 Limited

4. Member
    Mine isn't fantastic, but it isn't near as bad as I read about here. M front compartments stay fairly dry. Maybe it's the carpet not letting your lids seal? Have you tried adjusting the lids tight? I had mine adjusted fairly tight when it was new to stop some of the rattling from no carpet.

5. Member
    Mine did until i adjusted the latches.

6. Banned
    Check the cup holders under the console and where the left side console would be. Mine were not glued in like they should have been.

7. Shutterbug Forum Moderator bdog7198's Avatar
    Interesting, I got stuck in a storm that flooded streets after 5 inches of rain in less than an hour. Pulled over into a park and ride to wait it out.

Had no issues of water in the compartments at all.

8. Member
    I've only been out in heavy rain once, everything I had put away in the compartments were bone dry. The drainage system seemed to work well, though I think they should add a 2nd floor drain or at least reposition the one that is already there.

9. Member
    Mine sat outside uncovered and strapped to anchors in a slab during a hurricane (Mathew). Everything was dry except the exposed floor.
    2016 Ranger RT178 white
    75 4S Merc, VesselView Mobile
    Simrad Go7, Baystar hydro, SpitFire X7 17p

I haven't had any wet compartment issues either considering the rain mine has been through.

11. Banned
    Ya'll are lucky. Mine are soaked every time it rains. It's terrible. every compartment gets wet. Maddening.

I guess Im lucky mine stays dry...... so far
    2022 Xpress H17 - Yamaha SHO 90

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJfrank View Post
    Ya'll are lucky. Mine are soaked every time it rains. It's terrible. every compartment gets wet. Maddening.
    Time to get some paper in those compartments when they are dry and figure out where the leak is coming from with a hose. Maybe the locks themselves, maybe they just need tightened down, maybe the drain holes are clogged??? Something isn't right somewhere. My back ones get water but they are not sealed.

When I had my RT at the factory for trailer guide work, they saw the gaskets I had on the lids. I am talking about the round rubber gaskets that make the seal. They installed a bigger gasket on my boat cabinets. The gaskets are about the same as used to seal car doors when shut. Bigger ones are available in places like AutoZone. I would get a bigger gasket and install them. They are glued to the metal on the deck. They are also glued where the joints are. Yours could not be sealed properly, or the glue could have loosened, or maybe they were not glued properly. I would get a couple of tubes of silicone adhesive and bigger hollow tube type gasket, pull the old stuff out, clean the metal, and silicone the new gaskets in using a good silicone adhesive. Make sure to glue the joints. Adjust the latch to tighten the lid good and tight and you should fix the problem. Probably would not cost over about $50 and about 3 hours of your time.

My compartments don't leak. I am not saying the don't leak a drop in a huge downpour....they probably do. But if there is any little drip leak, it is not noticeable nor enough to bother me.
    Last edited by Panama; 12-12-2017 at 08:12 AM.
    ----------------------------
    The bitterness of poor quality is remembered
    long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten - Benjamin Franklin

2013 RANGER RT188 - YAMAHA F115 - ULTREX - LOWRANCE GRAPHS
    LOCK-N-HAUL Transom Saver, ALL ABOARD Emergency Ladder
    1996 RANGER CHEROKEE - 40 YAMAHA

15. Banned
    Yea. I gotta do something. Because this is ridiculous

One hundred eighty eight places to leak...
    2013 Pre-Johnny Ranger RT 178
    115 PRO XS
    Due to the increase of ammunition prices... There will be no warning shots
    Honda certified Master technician 33 Years

17. Member
    The only issue I had was a drain hose popped off it's nipple and the water drained right into my port locker, that was an easy fix and only stood out because the other two boxes were bone dry.

Quote Originally Posted by BigJfrank View Post
    Good grief this boat sucks at keeping the compartments dry! Gotta figure something else out, this things gets soaked in a rain.
    Check to make sure your drain hoses are not knocked off. I put too much tackle in the front compartments and knocked the hoses off . all the water drained into the compartments. Drill drain holes in the back compartments. If its any consolation a friend has an Express and he has puddles in his compartments that don't dry or drain
    2016 RT 188

When my 2014 RT 188 was new the front 3 compartments stayed bone dry. The storage under the seats would get anywhere from damp to soaked. After my 4th season with the boat the port side box gets damp, under the seats get wet, and everything else stays dry. (Including the livewell. lol)
    The best way to cheer yourself up is to cheer up someone else.

20. Member
    Tighten the latches glue the drain hoses on the cup holder drains in the boxes and I had to lift my carpet up in front of my rod locker and put seam sealer there wasn't any weld there and the water drips straight down in the rod locker after doing these things shes dry now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast