Banned

Morning Dew/Condensation while storing outside

So....Im wondering if I should just start a "stupid question" containment thread? lol

Im currently storing my boat outside in my front yard( just had it 3 weeks so far) with no cover. It rained last night all night and soaked the boat....but it did dry for the most part throughout the day. Well I was outside just now...and all the floor is soaked from all the gathering dew/moisture in the air. I was thinking about buying a boat cover at Academy....but would that help? Figure it may even make it worse?

I cant store it in my garage since its too small....and I dont wanna store it in a storage facility because I worry about theft. and since its an old boat thatll prolly be costly to insure, while not likely helping that much if stolen. Cant see the insurance company cutting me a check for what I paid/have invested in boat...figure its like with cars and theyll try to get as close to bare minimum of bluebook/"fair" market value....which isnt much for a 2004 PT 175 with a 50hp 2 stroke.

Is there any solutions out there? I saw the bilge wizard....seems like a good idea. Its just sucking out/moving around air. Figure that may work for me? Let me know....I have some of the wood exposed on my front deck since it needs recarpeting....and the wood felt moist :( dont really wanna have to buy a new casting deck at this point since the marine plywood isnt cheap, plus the cuts. Hoping to keep it in good shape to last me another year or so...hopefully longer...but worry with the way it felt with all the moisture in the air tonight.

2. Member
    Buy a cover, or get a big tarp to go over it which is better than nothing at all. Boats dry out well but the sun will age them fast left uncovered
    Charles Prue - Linthicum Heights, MD
    2003 Champion 206 Elite - 250 VMax

The water would have gotten into the bilge from the rain, in the bilge its evaporing now making it much worse than if it was covered. If you get a good cover that doesn't allow pooling of water either by posts/ buckets I would open the compartments and shut them on the latch as to only have a little crack to equalize temps = reducing condensation
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

4. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishysam View Post
    The water would have gotten into the bilge from the rain, in the bilge its evaporing now making it much worse than if it was covered. If you get a good cover that doesn't allow pooling of water either by posts/ buckets I would open the compartments and shut them on the latch as to only have a little crack to equalize temps = reducing condensation
    There may be water in the bilge....but I really think it was more moisture in the air being captured by the carpet boat. All the vehicles had a layer of condensation on them as well and why I think that. It looked like a small layer of frost on the hood/body and windows....but if you wiped it, it was just moisture....not a hard frost. The carpet was just soaked.....it was all dry by 7am when I left home.

Just wondering if a boat cover wouldve prevented this or not. I need one either way for the rare rainy days while I free up garage space.....maybe be few weeks until that happens....garage is a mess! lol

What do you all think about that bilge wizard? not to expensive if its legit imo

5. Member
    Cover and put a fan under it to keep air moving.

6. Banned
    thats simple....sounds good...and is cheaper than the bilge wizard! lol

FOLLOW UP QUESTION.....

how much do I pay for a cover? Prices start at $70 at Academy sports....and go all the way up to 600+! Not planning to trailer with the boat cover on. I usually take day trips to a lake thats only 2 hours away. Just need a cover for when parked really.

I have an 800$ factory tarp, and I have used 200$ tarps and there is a benifit with the factory tarp but that's trailering, since you won't I would look in the 200$ area, cheep cheep tarps aren't very good.

also tarping to prevent the "frost" dew would be a benifit baecause it will slow the cooling affect inside the tarp/ boat, making it condense less
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

8. Member
    I've kept mine under a $35.00 10x20 tarp for the past year. Thinking of buying one of those aluminum carports to park it under. They're cheaper than some boat covers I've seen.

Any cover that keeps rain out is good - but ventilation is key to prevent condensation from high humidity under the cover. Install vents in the high points of the cover if it doesn't have any already.
    Blocking open all lids is a great idea, a fan to move air is ideal, and using a dehumidifier powder can help.
    Condensation left unchecked will cause major mold problems (especially underneath impossible to clean floors/decks and consoles), as well as corrosion of unsealed electrical connections.

10. Member
    Check with your local marine dealer - see if they have a shipping cover that'll fit your boat. Got one for mine and it was FREE!
    2009 G3 Eagle 180 / 2009 Yamaha F115 / Minn Kota Maxxum 80 / Helix 7 Chirp SI GPS G2N on Bow & Console

11. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bnewman046 View Post
    Check with your local marine dealer - see if they have a shipping cover that'll fit your boat. Got one for mine and it was FREE!
    Damn...a bit jealous after reading FREE! Bet that things sturdy too! Dont have any marine dealers nearby...but ill stop in to the one thats at my home lake when I go in a couple weeks! I bought the cheap cover from academy.......it surprisingly works well! lol has helped against rain....and havent run into those morning dew situations again.