Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Spring of 2018 glacial lake SD meet up?

I am all for a meet up in ND/SD and in a different thread a couple of us think it should be on a glacial lake in South Dakota in the spring before the MN season starts could maybe get a couple of them to come over for that reason.

any suggestions/ ideas?

I will say I am IN!
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

2. Banned
    i should be in

Hey sawguy look here

I'm interested.

I haven’t fished any of those lakes but I’d like to give it a try. Plus, it looks like I’m deploying in July so my tournament season is shot. Going to have to get my fishing in where I can! Will probably miss the rally on Okoboji too.

Dang steve, if you face book look up bass brawl, Casey e, who does come around here (on BBC) has been doing work on big smallies in this area, he will probally hate me for trying to get a group of us out in this neck of the woods but he could use it to build his fan base and influence ring maybe build his brand ?

7. Member
    Depends on the date but the boy and I might make the trip. We both love ice fishing that area but haven't made the trek during the open water season.

The date could be up in the air, depending on how spring goes and what this group comes up with for ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishysam View Post
    Dang steve, if you face book look up bass brawl, Casey e, who does come around here (on BBC) has been doing work on big smallies in this area, he will probally hate me for trying to get a group of us out in this neck of the woods but he could use it to build his fan base and influence ring maybe build his brand ?
    I know of him. Have followed him for a few years on Facebook and YouTube.

10. Member
    The time that has always worked best for me is the week before Memorial day. ( on Roy anyway ) Not many people and you can leave just before the crowds hit for the weekend. Fishing is usually excellent then.
    I've got money I haven't even spent yet!
    2011 Nitro Z8--200 pro xs

11. Member
    Will have to see which lakes have water in them. They say Roy was way down this fall.

I'll be there if tournament schedule allows.
    Dave

South Dakota doesn't close seasons for fishing do they? I'm kinda hoping this could go down early so 1 crowds won't be around and 2 so no one has any tournament issues. As that will be my issue as well

13. Member
    As a general rule they are open year 'round. Tournaments will start twards the end of April.
    Dave

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishysam View Post
    Lots of people do work on big smallies around here. Nobody owns NE SD. Fish where you want, buddy—guilt free.

15. Member
    Perhaps the GFP / legislature will have the non meandered waterway issue solved by then for a couple lakes I love to fish.
    Dave

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bass57348 View Post
    Perhaps the GFP / legislature will have the non meandered waterway issue solved by then for a couple lakes I love to fish.
    I'm afraid it's about as solved as it's going to be for now. I guess there is a slight chance that things could change before next open water season, but I'd be surprised. The next legislative session is in January, and the current non meandered water bill that they passed during this summer's emergency special session expires on June 30, 2018. That means they are going to have to revisit it in January. The minimum that they could do is not revisit it and let it expire, which would cause everything to go back to the way it was before. The easiest thing for them to do would be to simply leave the bill the way it was when they made it and change the expiration date to some time farther in the future. That's what I would expect them to do. It took them 20 years to do anything at all, and they only did it because the state supreme court forced them to. I doubt they are going to a major overhaul on something that they basically want nothing to do with less than a year after they got drug in for a special session. That being said, they could change anything they want, so we'll just have to wait and see. I can tell you this, both sides are super ticked off—still. And I have a bad feeling that ice fishing season is where the two sides are really going to collide.

At this point though, there shouldn't be too many good bass lakes that you're missing out on. Only one that I know of, and that one is controlled by the family that owns the land around it anyways, because they own the land that the state ramp was on. They were just renting it out to the state. Even if all the non-meandered stuff was banished in the next legislative session we still wouldn't get access back to that lake unless the family signs a new lease agreement with the GFP. Keep your fingers crossed though. I've heard that they are waiting till after the legislative session to make any commitments, and I'm hopeful that they might decide to let us back out there if nothing significant gets changed from the bill that got passed this summer.

The only water that has been closed so far is inventoried on this map. It's not legally posted unless it's on here. As you can see, it's really nothing all that significant yet.

http://sdgfp.maps.arcgis.com/apps/St...a51f9d7e992707

On the bright side, only one of the section 8 lakes has been petitioned for closure so far (Cataile/Kettle), and the GFP commission denied the petition unanimously earlier this month. That's a huge win for sportsman because it shows that the commission isn't going to waive through every petition for closure that gets presented to them. I'd honestly be surprised if we even see any new attempts to close section 8 lakes. You would think that if they were going to do it they would have done it right away, and hardly any did. Again, we'll just have to wait and see.

My biggest fear is the day that landowners start coming after the meandered lakes complaining that there's no difference between the two types and they should all be looked at the same way. I'm surprised it hasn't happened yet. We really will be screwed if it ever does. I'll be moving away if that ever becomes the case.

Sorry for high jacking your thread

17. Member
    I miss fishing Reetz. I enjoy that lake and it is the closest to me. Cattail Kettle had me worried. That lake....
    Dave

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bass57348 View Post
    I miss fishing Reetz. I enjoy that lake and it is the closest to me
    Man you're telling me! It used to be the prefect lake for me to sneak to after work—5 miles down the road... Now it's gone. I also used to love taking people out there that don't fish very often and watch them feel like KVD for a day. Hell I even proposed to my wife out there... I sure hope we get it back. We'll probably know its fate by next summer.

19. Member
    A lot of good lakes up there. A really good one would be North or South Buffalo. Reetz would fish small depending on how many boats. Clear would be fun and Roy would be a blast if the water level is back up. I would be in depending on the date as I get married end of april and honeymooning on tablerock in MO for a couple of weeks.

Just keep the ideas coming in and as far I go on date is when it's early, beat the average angler to the lake by a few weeks is my vote

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast