Ruger Redhawk 44 mag

I've got a hankering for one and the local gun shop said he has a used one that looks brand new for 629 bucks. A buddy of mine has a super Blackhawk with a 10 inch barrel, red dot scope, some ammo and a holster he is asking 500 for but sounded like he was negotiable. I would prefer the Redhawk for the double action but I'm open to suggestions. What say you guys that have shot both?

2. Member
    I have not shot a 44 red hawk but I have spent some time behind the trigger of a 44 Blackhawk and a 45 red hawk. Both shot good. The red hawk is easier to handle and reload but the Blackhawk is a ton of fun loading and unloading. The red hawk grip frame is more comfortable for me. Both are rugers and are built like a tank.

The Redhawk I'm thinking about has a 5.5 inch barrel and the super Blackhawk has a 10.5. I kinda wondering what barrel length I want. I don't have any specific purpose in mind other than playing with it and maybe taking a deer if the opportunity presented itself.

4. Member
    10" and over is a long barrel. If it was not a dedicated hunting rig I would not want it. That is my personal opinion. Yours may vary.

I have a Super Blackhawk .44 Mag with a 10 1/2” or 11” barrel. Inherited it from my father in law. Haven’t shot it in years. But I remember not liking the grip and trigger guard very well. On the other side, I have a Ruger Alaskan in .44 Mag and it’s great to shoot. The oversized grip makes up for the short barrel and it’s very accurate at 50 yards.
    1999 Ranger R91 / Mercury 200 EFI.

What ballistic advantage does the 5.5" barrel have over the 10.5" and what difference would it make on target? What are the pro's and cons of each barrel length?

7. Member
    The long barrel has a longer sight radius and will be muzzle heavy. Good traits for target shooting.

Shorter barrels balance and carry better and are easier to manage in a holster. They will have more blast.

A 10" barrel is huge on a pistol and I do not like their handling characteristics. But for some people they are a better choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Transom View Post
    The long barrel has a longer sight radius and will be muzzle heavy. Good traits for target shooting.

Shorter barrels balance and carry better and are easier to manage in a holster. They will have more blast.

A 10" barrel is huge on a pistol and I do not like their handling characteristics. But for some people they are a better choice.
    The longer sight radius only applies if you're using irons. On a rifle I know that 5" of barrel makes a decent difference in velocity, does the same hold true on a revolver?

9. Member
    Assuming slow powders are used 5 more inches of barrel will give more velocity. However big bore handguns are less dependent on velocity than most firearms as the big heavy bullets do their job even at tame velocities. The gains you get are very dependent on the powder that is being used. A max load of unique will not net much gain. A case full of h110 can really use the extra barrel.

10. Member
    Add me to the list of those who feel the Blackhawk grips are very uncomfortable when shooting the big bore. I sold mine years ago. I still have my 357 in the Blackhawk and love it, but if I had my choice between the 2, I would choose the Redhawk not because of the double action as I would mostly shoot it as a single action anyway. Probably would shoot double action only in a defensive situation and I have a 9mm for that. I would buy the Redhawk because I know how bad the BH grips fit my hands and "bite" when shooting it.

11. Member
    You can't beat a single action for the fun factor and simplicity in my opinion. I have several rugers from 22 single six to a 44 10.5" super blackhawk. Possibly the best thing you can do for shooting big handguns is put a set of hogue monogrips on them ($23 for my super blackhawk). The rosewood grips are great for looks but not the most comfortable for shooting much. I can't stand the looks of the stepped barrel on the longer barrel redhawks, but that's just preference. Either way go can't really go wrong. Rugers are built like tanks and will last you a lifetime.

12. Member
    My brother has the black hawk 44 mag in the 10” barrel and hunts with it all the time. He also has a ruger SP101 with a 4” barrel in 357 that he carries with him during bow season for pigs. Both are very accurate and yes the barrel length on a pistol will make a difference but in that caliber for hunting, it’s going to take it down in its tracks. For comfort of shooting the 10” barrel will help with recoil. For carrying the 5” is going to be the better bet. Just depends on what your plans are. Either will take a pig, deer, or anything else you may run across.

13. Member
    I have a 5.5” Blue 44 Redhawk. It’s my favorite non S&W revolver. Back when the RH first came out I had the first one in town and shot about 2500 rounds thru it in a year and a half of silhouette shooting. This was of course a 7.5”stainless gun. Two drawbacks to the Redhawk, the design has only one spring so it’s diffuicult to get a light smooth trigger pull. And the grip frame is big, it’s hard for me to find the right grips for it.
    Tracker Panfish 16

Bonafide EX123 Kayak

14. Member
    I had the SBH hunter in 41 mag for a long time. Beautiful gun but just never did use it.
    ~~1995 Gambler~~

Mercury 250 ProXS
    Bobs 10" AJ
    Dual Power Poles
    2-HB 1199's HB 1158 HB 597 in dash
    Ultrex 112

"Runs like a cheetah... with his @$$ on fire"