OK Fish and Ski owners need feedback

So I have a 1996 Javelin 409FS with a 200 Venom the motor came with a 19p prop which currently runs 50mph gps @6000 rpm looking for suggestions on prop and whether to run a jackplate at all?? plus any other mods or suggestions you may have. the Fish and Ski model was not my first choice but it was priced right to where I could not pass it up.

2. Member
    Maybe a 25 Renegade Bass. I have one that I am not using if you decide to go that route. Let me know if interested.

Is this a stainless prop or aluminum?? Something doesn't sound right with those numbers.

4. Member
    That is an aluminum prop

Okay, then the numbers make sense.

To get best performance, you would want a stainless prop - an aluminum one for this sort of boat and hp is best used as a back-up. Using known numbers on an aluminum prop has little relationship on what a correct stainless should be.

A jackplate is a requirement if you would like to maximize your performance potential.

The f&s platforms tend to carry weight further forward AND tend to be slightly heavier so it will be a little more challenge to get the hull to break loose - less hull to water contact = more speed.

You would do well to try to borrow props from friends to find what it likes rather than purchasing trial & error.

Offhand, I would suspect a 4-blade in the 23"-24" range or a 3-blade 22"-23". A 25" 4-blade or 24" 3-blade is probably the hard wall upper end. These would include the Renegade/Trophy or Raker/Tempest.

When testing, keep in mind that air temp will have a bearing with colder air making for a stronger run. Summer heat will knock the rpms down some. 6,000 is the top of your rated rpms.

If you're going to have a jackplate, add that before you start trying props.

6. Member
    Thanks for the info Nightmare much appreciated.

that being said, my goal with the posting was to take some of the trial and error out by getting feedback from fellow boat owners.

I currently have leads on a 6" manual jack plate as well as a 25p Renegade that seem to make sense

not looking to set records but I know that the boat currently is not running where it should

7. Member
    No performance fish and ski boats out there??

A 25 will be too much prop for your rig. A 23 Renegade should be just right and I tend to like the Merc Trophy much better but you would need the hub kit. Add a JP and you may be able to spin a 24.
    This all depends on how strong the motor is though and if the boat is water logged or not.
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

9. Member
    thanks for the reply

10. Member
    I have an 89-289FS(19.5 ft) with a Johnson 200gt on it. The prop I run is a solas aluminum 4 blade with a 21 pitch. I don't have a jackplate. The best I've gotten out of her is 58 mph(gps) On a fairly smooth lake, at around 5700 to 5800 rpm. That's with 2 people, gear, and around 20 to 25 gallons of gas on board.It's on plane at around 18 to 19 mph. I do have a hydrofoil on it, which does help the time to plane quite a bit, especially when I have a full load of gas(30 gallons),as my tanks are in the back. the only negative to the hydrofoil is when I walk around to the back of the boat, and take it in the shin. Really lights your eyes up.

11. Member
    sounds painful thanks for the feedback

12. Member
    i ran a 25 renegade on my 1995 409 F/S.. It would run 63-64 at 5800 rpm with the 200 venom

13. Member
    Thanks that's exactly the kind of info I was hoping for were you by chance running a jackplate? or do you recall what your height was?