2015 150 OptiMax thermostats

Serial Number 2B114034 142 Hours Smartcraft. As part of my off-season maintenance, I plan on checking the thermostats. Since I'm going to have to take down the fuel rails, I'm wondering about the wisdom of going ahead and installing new thermostats. Am I jumping the gun and wasting money? Thanks!

2. Member
    I wouldn't pull and inspect thermostats as part of my annual maintenance unless Smartcraft indicates a temp issue. I wouldn't replace them unless, as a result of need to inspect, I found them to be fault. What I'd do with my 150.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Above "presumes" that the Original Poster has Smartcraft.

Testing or Inspecting Thermostats is part of the regular ANNUAL Maintenance for Optimax models. That testing can be done several different ways (end result is always verifying that the engine is reaching operating temperature properly).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Above "presumes" that the Original Poster has Smartcraft.

Testing or Inspecting Thermostats is part of the regular ANNUAL Maintenance for Optimax models. That testing can be done several different ways (end result is always verifying that the engine is reaching operating temperature properly).
    You're right Don, I forget not all have Smartcraft gauges.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Don't feel bad... it's really hard to imagine a setup without one (much like an aircraft without an altimeter... sure you could fly it that way, but it's probably not a very good idea).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

What is the proper operating temp for a 150 pro xs?

7. Member
    Engine has 143° thermostats so engine should reach a minimum of 120° before accelerating. In cold water, I like to watch the thermostats cycle at least once before gradually accelerating to cruise rpm. Smarcraft gauge set on coolant temp is very helpful in ensuring engine is at operating temp. Once poppet opens, on plane temps will vary greatly depending on lake water temp and load being placed on engine.
    Last edited by SilverFox579; 11-23-2017 at 08:42 AM. Reason: Edit add poppet info
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax