Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thoughts on 245/45R18 trailer tires

One of the new boats that I am looking at has 245/45R18 Goodyear Eagle Sport tires on a tandem axle. I looked them up and they have a load index of 96 (1565 lbs) and speed rating W (168 mph). They are not ST or LT tires, SL, I think. I would think that the company engineered this into their trailer. I am OCD when it comes my boats and especially making a purchase this big. I would estimate that I would tow 3000 - 4000 miles per year. Is this something to be concerned about? I do not want to buy a new boat and have tire issues that I could have changed in the beginning. I do notice that a lot of newer boat trailers are going to tires similar to these. I appreciate any input on this.

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    1565X4 = 6260 lbs. If it's a bass boat, that is plenty of capacity.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

3. Member
    Car tires do not have the same sidewall strength as a trailer tire.
    Trailers don't have much suspension so the bounce is dissipated in the sidewall.
    Turning with a tandem axel trailer also puts a lot of lateral load on the tires.
    You need a good trailer tire!

See if you can get those taken off and the Endurance put on.

4. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LittlePech View Post
    Car tires do not have the same sidewall strength as a trailer tire.
    Trailers don't have much suspension so the bounce is dissipated in the sidewall.
    Turning with a tandem axel trailer also puts a lot of lateral load on the tires.
    You need a good trailer tire!

See if you can get those taken off and the Endurance put on.
    Weight rating is the only thing that matters. Sidewall strength is the same. The forces on a car turning is much, much, much worse than a trailer.
    nothing else matters.​

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    Weight rating is the only thing that matters. Sidewall strength is the same. The forces on a car turning is much, much, much worse than a trailer.

Side wall strength is not the same.

Cars have their axels serrated by a relatively long distance and the front wheels turn.
    There is no side loads here, good shocks absorb any bounce created.

Trailer tires are close together don't turn and don't have shocks.
    Trailers bounce, and when you turn one wheel has to drag.
    Definitely more side loads.

6. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LittlePech View Post
    Side wall strength is not the same.

Cars have their axels serrated by a relatively long distance and the front wheels turn.
    There is no side loads here, good shocks absorb any bounce created.

Trailer tires are close together don't turn and don't have shocks.
    Trailers bounce, and when you turn one wheel has to drag.
    Definitely more side loads.
    You don't think there are side loads on the front tires? They are insane compared to the virtually non-existent side loads on trailer tires. The idea that there is something special about trailer tire sidewalks is 100% myth.
    nothing else matters.​

You don't think there are side loads on the front tires? They are insane compared to the virtually non-existent side loads on trailer tires. The idea that there is something special about trailer tire sidewalks is 100% myth.
    One mans opinion vs the entire tire manufacturing industry.
    Guess you have never rolled a tire off the rim from turning a tandem to sharp.

Quote Originally Posted by OuachitaT View Post
    One of the new boats that I am looking at has 245/45R18 Goodyear Eagle Sport tires on a tandem axle. I looked them up and they have a load index of 96 (1565 lbs) and speed rating W (168 mph). They are not ST or LT tires, SL, I think. I would think that the company engineered this into their trailer. I am OCD when it comes my boats and especially making a purchase this big. I would estimate that I would tow 3000 - 4000 miles per year. Is this something to be concerned about? I do not want to buy a new boat and have tire issues that I could have changed in the beginning. I do notice that a lot of newer boat trailers are going to tires similar to these. I appreciate any input on this.
    I'm amazed that a trailer manufacture would put non trailer rated tires on there product.. In todays world of lawsuits a lawyer would have a field day with them in certain situations.
    My next concern would be trying to get any warranty on a ruined tire when it was not used as it was designed to be..

9. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    Show me where a tire company repeats the sidewall nonsense. LT and ST tires have load ratings 10% higher than the same load class in P series tires. ST tires have less aggressive tread. End of differences. As long as the tires have the weight capacity they are fine BassCat has sold trailers with P series tires for years.
    nothing else matters.​

10. Member
    Show me where a tire company repeats the sidewall nonsense. LT and ST tires have load ratings 10% higher than the same load class in P series tires. ST tires have less aggressive tread. End of differences. As long as the tires have the weight capacity they are fine BassCat has sold trailers with P series tires for years.
    Same tire BassCat used for years. Been on there for 3 years, and I'm sure they will go another 3.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ed R.

2006 ChampioN 198 225 Optimax

You may argue "sidewall nonsense" with the tire company all you want .. I'll stay out of that..
    I disagree with your comment that side loads on trailer tires is "virtually non existent"

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post

You can't compare Highway Tractor tires to this application.
    Completely different when your dealing with those kinds of loads.

Maybe the difference isn't as big as I think, but these are car tires not even truck tires.

13. Member
    The trailer tire designation allows them to charge you more money for a cheap 75 series tire that they probably couldn't sell otherwise since no cars come with those anymore. I have run passenger tires for years with no issues whatsoever...never even had a flat tire. Also my trailers have been single axle for the most part and under 19-20 footers too. Running a pair right now on a single axle under my Bullet. Paid $32/tire...Hankook P205/75's. As mentioned above as long as weight ratings are inline...passenger tires are a non issue on a boat trailer.

To the OP...the 45 series tires would be fine also since weight ratings permit. As mentioned above just not as bouncy as the 75's so trailer suspension will do most of the work/dampening. Only real downside is that you need to be more careful on the trailer curb hopping cuz your rims will be a little more susceptible to rash and other damage since they are closer to the ground with less rubber in between to protect them. The should look a hell of a lot better though...
    96 Bullet 20cc, Yamaha OX 250+, 10" jack, labbed 30" Bravo LH w/1.25" exhaust pipes, counter rotating Bob's lower, it goes faster when you spin it the other way...

14. Member
    Had two different bass cats. Both had Cooper "car" tires. Both never had any problems.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullet 20cc View Post
    The trailer tire designation allows them to charge you more money for a cheap 75 series tire that they probably couldn't sell otherwise since no cars come with those anymore. I have run passenger tires for years with no issues whatsoever...never even had a flat tire. Also my trailers have been single axle for the most part and under 19-20 footers too. Running a pair right now on a single axle under my Bullet. Paid $32/tire...Hankook P205/75's. As mentioned above as long as weight ratings are inline...passenger tires are a non issue on a boat trailer.

To the OP...the 45 series tires would be fine also since weight ratings permit. As mentioned above just not as bouncy as the 75's so trailer suspension will do most of the work/dampening. Only real downside is that you need to be more careful on the trailer curb hopping cuz your rims will be a little more susceptible to rash and other damage since they are closer to the ground with less rubber in between to protect them. The should look a hell of a lot better though...
    And there is the simple truth. I have always run P tires on boat trailers. They are applications where due to weight a trailer tire might be needed. For the typical bass boat especially with tandem axles, you will generally be better off with a P tire. They will last longer, ride better and be cheaper.

16. Member
    Thanks for all the replies!

17. Member

This is wrong. A car tire has to translate rotational force from the driveshaft to the tread. Boat trailers have no such requirement. Car tires need more flex in the sidewall for comfort. Trailer tires have no such requirement. Trailer tires do not "steer" while car tires have to. Sidewall flex == heat. The two are completely different animals. That's why there are trailer tires and car tires, and they are not the same. Trailer tires specifically come with a warning to NOT use them on an automobile, for a reason. Auto tires ought to have the same warning about using on trailers.

From experience, real trailer tires lead to better tracking and less wandering, particularly when encountering grooves on the roadway. Lots of single axle trailers on the road with 19' boats on 'em. Two passenger tires will have significant difficulty working well on such a trailer, since the load capacity won't be up to snuff. But it is easy to find trailer tires that will carry 2500+ pounds per wheel, not with car tires.
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

18. Member
    Very well said and some very good info in your post. What kind of tires came on your Basscat trailer? I don't have a Basscat so I don't know but some of the guys that have chimed in on this thread say that their Basscat trailers came with passenger tires on them from the factory. You own one also so you would be a good person to ask. Is that true what they have said here...that Basscat trailers come with passenger tires?
    96 Bullet 20cc, Yamaha OX 250+, 10" jack, labbed 30" Bravo LH w/1.25" exhaust pipes, counter rotating Bob's lower, it goes faster when you spin it the other way...

19. Member

USA

Got my first bassboat at 21 back in 1977 and it didn't have trailer tires on it ( 17-1/2 ft Hydro-Sport with a 150 Merc single axle trailer)

I put tires on it once and they weren't trailer tires. ( I didn't know any better back then ) Don't remember any problems up to 1982 when I traded it in.

I just put some new Goodyear Endurance tires on my Triton.

But, I have wondered many times why trailer tires don't last as long as car/truck tires. I thought if they were load rated correctly why shouldn't they work.

Quote Originally Posted by OldTimer57 View Post
    This is wrong. A car tire has to translate rotational force from the driveshaft to the tread. Boat trailers have no such requirement. Car tires need more flex in the sidewall for comfort. Trailer tires have no such requirement. Trailer tires do not "steer" while car tires have to. Sidewall flex == heat. The two are completely different animals. That's why there are trailer tires and car tires, and they are not the same. Trailer tires specifically come with a warning to NOT use them on an automobile, for a reason. Auto tires ought to have the same warning about using on trailers.
    <br>
    <br>
    Good points and sure leads me to believe car tires are superior to trailer tires with the exception of weight carrying capabilities in some situations. Looks like the OP has done his research and the weight factor is not a concern for him. The tires the OP asked about are a low profile tire compared to most trailer tires and my experiences are the lower profile tires have less flex. Got my first trailer boat over 40 years ago and the majority have had "car" tires including a new Champion and of my current trailers the best towing one is riding on tires similar to the ones the OP asked about.
    Last edited by Islands; 11-11-2017 at 11:00 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast