Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Member
    I used to use mine, but bought the Ultrex this year and never pulled them out.

Mine are very old. They're the round style. They would unwind in the wind. I fixed that problem by drilling holes in each one and added a 1/8oz worm (cone) sinker. I made the hole just big enough so the sinker wouldn't go all the way through. I super glued the sinker in place and then used some Goop to waterproof it. Now when it drops, the sinkers hold it in place. Just make sure to place your sinkers on the same side. You want both of them to be pointing down when they come to rest.

They can be made with some pool noodles and pvc pipe. My dad made some like this and they work fine. They do sit low in the water.

I don't always tell people where I fish, but when I do, it's a lie.

All the time ..

3. Member
    I use them all the time. Especially on new spots that I need the reference for boat control or so I can see the whole spot or line. Once I get pretty familiar I just use my graph because I know how it lays out

Crappie fishing or real small humps offshore I do.

5. Member
    I only use them at night during the summer when fishing offshore humps for smallmouth. Tape a glow stick from the Wally-world party aisle to the end of it so i can dim the electronics.

6. Member
    Yep, use them. Sometimes if I set up on particular spot, I use old small floating items that just look like trash. Small 6-8 ounce plastic bottle with clear fishing line and a few rocks in it to stop rolling.
    Praying for a Cure

7. Member
    I never leave mine after I am done fishing a spot. At least not on purpose. The "not on purpose" accounts for the few I have lost. if you leave them on my home lake,they will get taken or run over by a ski/pleasure boat. Never drop one where I want to fish.Just where I can align boat for a good cast.

Still use them
    "If People Concentrated on the Really Important Things in Life, There'd be a Shortage of Fishing Poles." - Doug Larson
    "Peace is not the absence of turmoil but the presence of God" Jo-Ann Thomack

9. Member
    i have about 10 of them if i see one and nobody in sight i figure they left it,so i guess its mine

10. Member
    I use them a lot and throw them about 100 yards from where I'm actually fishing around nothing. When the bite is slow it is fun to come watch others come fish around it.

11. Member
    All the time.....keep one handy at all times when fishing deeper stuff. Sometimes it's all about where you are casting from. Kick it off the side of the boat and mark your spot and make the same cast. I have at least 5 in my boat right now.

12. Member
    Way to go ksubasser24! I too only use them for decoys...

13. Member
    Yessir!
    2020 Skeeter ZX150

14. Tin Boats Moderator Pokie Pa's Avatar
    YES.... DROP SHOT they keep me on my spot.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wildturkey View Post
    Yep, use them. Sometimes if I set up on particular spot, I use old small floating items that just look like trash. Small 6-8 ounce plastic bottle with clear fishing line and a few rocks in it to stop rolling.
    This is a good technique. Just use a stick, clear fishing line and a one ounce weight and 99% of people never look at them. You can leave them out if you plan to return to the spot.

Can't use'em recreational boaters like to collect them with their props. Fun to watch them stop a couple of hundred yards later to try and figure out why they aren't running so good.

17. Member
    Al, Jane and I love to fish humps , and use them in Maine all the time so we can make the same cast over and over...

18. Member
    Use them all the time. Don't always use them to fish the spot but mostly to give me a bearing. For example the spot is upwind and diagonal of the buoy.

Long time ago before I understood what a ditch was I located a crotch where water had runoff between two inside corners going back before the lake was dammed. Without really knowing I pictured the area as being the only structure in a evenly defined corner of the lake. Now I understand that a ditch had been formed. At the 15 to 20 foot mark where it entered the bowl of the lake I used to be able to catch decent fish. Placed in a couple tournaments on that spot. I used the buoy to mark the area and not the spot and positioned my boat to cast at the depth where the fish were.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ksubasser24 View Post
    I use them a lot and throw them about 100 yards from where I'm actually fishing around nothing. When the bite is slow it is fun to come watch others come fish around it.
    That's hilarious till they start wackin them on that spot.

Absolutely still use them, cant beat a visual mark to cast at and keep you on the spot
    HARD WORK BUILDS CHARACTER

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast