proper way to set a manual jackplate

2000 20 extreme 225 Johnson HO

My boat has a manual jackplate and I have no idea how to set it. Is there a typical height they should be set to ??? Or is it one of those things you keep raising it until you acheive max speed? I dont have to get every .01 mph so if there is a way to set it for round about good performance I would go from there.

2. Member
    Most start at 3.50 below pad . But OMC motors usually run's lower . Start at 4 below the pad and raise as need at 1/4 inch at a time until you start to lose water pressure or speed then drop it down a 1/4 .

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rchavis View Post
    Most start at 3.50 below pad . But OMC motors usually run's lower . Start at 4 below the pad and raise as need at 1/4 inch at a time until you start to lose water pressure or speed then drop it down a 1/4 .
    So rookie question im sure but what do you measure to? Is it from the pad to centerline of the prop ?? I assume this is with motor fully trimmed down ??

4. Member
    Look in the stickies at the top of this board & there will be detailed instructions with pictures to show exactly how to check prop to pad measurements.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Young View Post
    Look in the stickies at the top of this board & there will be detailed instructions with pictures to show exactly how to check prop to pad measurements.
    Interesting read thanks for the heads up. Ill be doing some measurements tomorrow

6. Member
    No problem. I would have tried to explain it, but figured the best explanation would be to read the sticky to fully understand it with the pictures that are posted.

7. Member
    Sorry i do minds a tad diff. ...find a lever spot . Put a lever on the bow . Use the trail jack to get the deck lever . Then trim motor down to lever ,use a small lever on the cavition fin on the motor . Then use a lever from the middle of the boat (pad ) a cross the side of the motor where the shaft is . You want to get your reading from there as in ,how many inches below or above the pad (prop shaft ) move motor up are down ? It easy this way for me .

9. Member
    Thanks everyone.. Seems pretty straight forward.

10. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    Even if you have the bolts on your jackplate real loose sometimes it's still hard to get the plate to go up/down. If this happens put a piece of wood on the ground that is the same height as your skeg. "bump" the trim lightly. This will free up the plates so they can move more easy. They sometimes stick after being bolted in the same position for years and you have to give them a little help breaking loose. Once you get it broke free then use the up/down jack bolt to go the direction you need to go.

Quote Originally Posted by rchavis View Post
    Sorry i do minds a tad diff. ...find a lever spot . Put a lever on the bow . Use the trail jack to get the deck lever . Then trim motor down to lever ,use a small lever on the cavition fin on the motor . Then use a lever from the middle of the boat (pad ) a cross the side of the motor where the shaft is . You want to get your reading from there as in ,how many inches below or above the pad (prop shaft ) move motor up are down ? It easy this way for me .
    level
    Just can't leave well enough alone!!

98 Stratos 273 w/ 150 Faststrike