Thread: Schooling fish?

Schooling fish?

Mornin gang! Just wondering if anybody has been catching any schooling fish yet? Nothing better than slinging a spook into a school of big ole pigs!
    Live Hard, Fish Harder!

2. Member
    Tommy, I suppose you are referring to the Rez. I haven't heard anything from my friends down there about it yet. Water temps here are around 66 degrees in the morning and ending up with a high of around 70. I would imagine it would be a few degrees higher down there. On my home lakes they have been schooling in deeper water and busting shad for 2 months. they are working the shad very shallow now,but the big fish are loner's. I got into a school of 2-3.5 lb. fish grouped up 2 Saturdays ago. I have been confined to a recliner from Friday to today because of hip. Heck,I couldn't even get in a boat right now,much less fish.I will be down there the 14th for a Ortho doctor app. Suck deal,but it will work okay for a few days then put me down for a few. This time however it does not seem to be letting up any.About to go nuts!

Man Ron I'm sorry to hear that! I hope the doctors can get you straightened out soon. I know it's driving you up the wall, no way for it not to.

Good to hear yall are seeing at least some schooling action. Yeah nobody I've talked to down here has said anything about any schoolers on the Rez. I still think we need a good solid streak of cool days down here to get em started.
    Live Hard, Fish Harder!

What about you delta boys? Any schooling action on any of the delta lakes yet? Chotard & Whittington used to be fun this time of year.
    Live Hard, Fish Harder!

5. Mississippi River Rat Kittycat2012's Avatar
    Kinda slow over here
    2023 Basscat Eyra
    Mercury pro team - Humminbird - Bobs - Power Pole - Garmin
    Hammer Rods
    The Tackle Trap

http://www.hammerrods.com/
    http://tackletrap.com/

6. Member
    I haven't seen any schooling fish on the Rez. Actually very little shad schools either.
    Hi Mike.

On main lake saturday...no shad. Up river on Sunday...no shad. Usually by now the river is FULL of shad balls everywhere. I saw none Sunday. Don't know why

It's climate change! Global warming! Aaaagggghhhh!!!! Now, in all seriousness, dang I hate to hear that. Man October & November used to be "schools in session" time all around the state. That is really strange what y'all are saying about seeing no shad on the Rez, especially up the Pearl!
    Live Hard, Fish Harder!

9. Member
    They seem to come and go. One trip they are everywhere then the next 10 trips you can't find one school. They seem to be gone more than they are here.
    Hi Mike.

10. Team Catfish Original hatcreek's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jigflipr76 View Post
    What about you delta boys? Any schooling action on any of the delta lakes yet?...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kittycat2012 View Post
    Kinda slow over here
    Agree with Andy... Definitely not like it "used" to be, at least not yet... water temps have risen over the past couple of weeks where I've been, up from low 60s (even saw 59 once) to ~68-72 my last two trips.

Have seen some surface schooling, but it's been very limited. That said, my experience has been similar to Ronald's... Bass are starting to push bait into shallower water more consistently and my numbers have been good, but majority of what I'm catching have been smaller fish with the occasional nice one mixed in.

This was my best from last weekend...

One side benefit to the increased action is that we've been getting into a bunch of these as well...

Hoping this week's cooler temps have the fish feeding up heavily when I get back out there.
    Who controls John Gill?

11. Member
    That makes my mouth water ......

Dang Hat! Good un there man and I second procraft's remark them other two are making me HONGRY!!!
    Live Hard, Fish Harder!