Question Evinrude 175DI Sea trial didn’t go so well

Hi from New Zealand,

I have had a good read on this awesome forum and would like some opinions on an E175 I was about buy.
    I have just got back from a Sea trial where the motor had a bad shudder around the 2500rpm ( just on the plane) and after a WOT run the “check engine” fault light came on and it went into limp mode.
    The boat dealer just phoned saying the shudder was because the plugs weren’t indexed properly and the fault was the EMM overheating. They are replacing the water pump impeller and indexing the plugs.
    Can you guys cast your eyes over this history report and let me know if any alarm bells go off?
    It wasn’t the best start to buying a boat as they advertised it at 117 hours till I noticed the hour meter didn’t work. I see it has done 253 so the offer will change for the worse if the next sea trial is acceptable.
    The tell tale squirter was good and strong so I am a bit confused how the EMM overheated... Hopefully someone can explain?
    Thanks for your time and expertise and look forward to many more posts in the future.

Cheers Mike

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mikeinnz; 11-06-2017 at 07:24 PM.

The water flow for the EMM passes through the vapor separator then through the Emm, it is possible that there is a blockage in that line.
    Dan Burnette - Marietta, GA
    Triton 18TRX - 200 HO G2

3. Member
    I had a 250DI which IMO was a stronger engine than the 250 G1 etec I replaced it with. I know it got better fuel economy and was just as quick. However at about 1700hrs I started having issues and could never get those resolved. Had the emn rebuilt twice, had to change some injectors, several sets of plugs, vapor separator, and it was always the same thing. After a repair it would run great for about 2 trips then was either blowing fuses or just shutting down in the middle of a long trip. Since all my boating usually involves long offshore run and after the 3rd sea-tow pull in 7 trips I had enough and went with the Etec. Common compliant I heard from D1 owners was once issues start it is a never ending battle. If I bought a boat with one I would do so knowing I may have to replace it soon.