Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Pics of my Deans boat cover for my 202

Ordered a cover a while back for my 2000 202 from Dean's and it did not fit right so I sent it back to them at my expense to be fixed. I called after a month and asked them what is going on with my cover. They said they "forgot" about it and would go work on it right away. Received it back and it's still not right, so they wanted me to send it back to them yet again. I gave up at this point and just kept it. I could not leave my boat uncovered for any longer.

Prior to sending the cover in, I sent Dan at Dean's about 20 photos of my boats all with measurements and everything possible to make sure the cover was built correctly to fit. I mentioned MANY times that I had a 52" fortrex motor so they would be able to allow for that.

Well here is the final product. Anyone else's cover look like this from Dean's? Just' doesn't seem right to me.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Joey805; 11-06-2017 at 02:55 PM. Reason: spelling
    2000 ChampioN 202
    225 Mercury EFI

2. Member
    Yeah I would not be happy with that result.

3. Member
    Mine looks exactly like that for my 198. They could not get the 52" Foretrex area to fit right. I WONT buy another from them. I have owned 3 Champs and ordered Deans everytime. I have had to send 2 of them back for fitting.

4. Member
    I also have had trouble with 2 Deans covers ! Thought I was being a little “OCD”, at first, but after seeing your pictures, I know I wasn’t. Will look elsewhere for my next cover. Too much money for substandard results.

5. Member
    I bought one for my 203 earlier this year. Had to send it twice but they finally got it right. The second time I made chalk lines along the rub rail, around the TM, etc.
    Last edited by ClarkBird; 11-06-2017 at 06:06 PM.

6. Member
    Maybe a change of employee's?

7. Member
    Dean's would not be proud of that either.

8. Member
    Dean's must has sold out to someone with no common sense. That's not what I'd expect to see, wonder if they're even embarrassed to see this in pics.

9. Member
    In defense of Deans it’s very difficult to custom make something off someone’s measurements.I have made several boat covers in my shop and upholstered and carpeted several different brands of boats. If was called to make a cover for someone that was 1800 miles away I wouldn’t do it. I can understand your frustration but you can only get custom made by taking your boat to a canvas that does custom made covers and am there is a good one in So California as I see many covered boats on my way to Lake Havasu. Sorry for your dissatisfaction.

Deans has not sold out. Dan is still running it and a good man. Send it back and they'll make it right.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MMosher View Post
    Deans has not sold out. Dan is still running it and a good man. Send it back and they'll make it right.
    Already did that once and it cost me $70, still wasn't right upon return. Why should I have to pay for their error?
    2000 ChampioN 202
    225 Mercury EFI

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RipBait67 View Post
    In defense of Deans it’s very difficult to custom make something off someone’s measurements.I have made several boat covers in my shop and upholstered and carpeted several different brands of boats. If was called to make a cover for someone that was 1800 miles away I wouldn’t do it. I can understand your frustration but you can only get custom made by taking your boat to a canvas that does custom made covers and am there is a good one in So California as I see many covered boats on my way to Lake Havasu. Sorry for your dissatisfaction.
    Agreed.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Joey805 View Post
    Already did that once and it cost me $70, still wasn't right upon return. Why should I have to pay for their error?
    Dan sent me a call tag both times - not sure why he wouldn't do the same for you.

14. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    On the other side of the coin, any idea how many 203 covers Dean's has made since the 203 came out? It would appear to me that one would only have to provide the TM shaft length, is it a dual or single console and front and rear seat configuration. All that said, the pix do not look like a custom cover, and I don't see a Dean's tag on the back. Now to their defense. The TM on that boat is not typical and appears to be the main reason it is not fitting properly. It appears to be sticking almost 2' above the rub rail.

Welp that makes my mind up alil... i also have a 2000 model 202 and will be buying a new cover for it soon, AND dang sure it will not come from Deans

16. Member
    I also think the odd stature of that TM is the real issue with that cover.

17. Member
    It's a 52" fortrex, not alot of options as far as how to mount it. It's bolted to the top cap and runs parallel down the rail.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Joey805; 11-07-2017 at 01:23 PM.
    2000 ChampioN 202
    225 Mercury EFI

18. Member
    RipBait67. what is your ball park amount to re carpet a 2100 Gambler ?
    Mike Matthews

U.S.N. 1963-1969

19. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    Joey, did you send these pictures to Dean's?

20. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    The way the Fortrex retracts is also part of the issue, since the LU doesn't extend all the way to the bow. A 202 cover they are used to making is not going to work. You may have had better luck finding a local shop to build you one.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Gambler View Post
    RipBait67. what is your ball park amount to re carpet a 2100 Gambler ?
    Mr Gambler, you need to PM RipBait67 rather then hijack the thread ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast