Coosa River first time

Hi all
    Going to be heading over to Coosa River, not sure specifically what part yet, but probably at or around Lay Lake. What tactics are you guys using this time of year? Never caught a spotted bass and I'm looking for the "Coosa River spot". Any information would help. Thanks.
    2012 Sterling
    2017 250xs Racing

2. Dogfish_Jones
    Lay Lake, better keep a shaky head near you. Squarebill crankbait. If you get on a good rocky point, throw a spinnerbait or rattle trap, these Coosa Spots will come after it, You will never outrun a hungry spot so rip it through the water.
    You can go to the next lake up the chain to Logan Martin, you will catch a good amount, maybe no big ones but plenty to nab. Then if you want to the next lake up is Neely Henry, but you better have a dang good mapping system on your boat, that lake is really wicked with its turns but some nice open water fishig at the junctions of any creek and main river point. Plenty of spots at those places right now. I can't tell you to head to the next lake up, Lake Weiss, well unless you want to run aground alot and break off your skeg.
    From Lay Lake up, the winter draw down is tough, Logan Martin being the worse of them all. But Logan Martin can be fun this time of year. Smaller water mean smaller area to cover. In our club tournament this past weekend, one of our guys netted a nice Coosa Spot of over 5 pounds near the dam, boarding it and Lay Lake.
    Last edited by Dogfish_Jones; 11-06-2017 at 02:58 PM.

3. Member
    You have Mitchell and Jordan below that that also have numbers and big fish
    2017 Triton TRX 19 Patriot 2017 225Mercury Pro XS

WAR EAGLE!!!!!!!

4. Member
    Go to Mitchell and fish the dam. You'll be happier doing that than going to lay. When are you coming?
    Joey Aderhold

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jaderhold View Post
    Go to Mitchell and fish the dam. You'll be happier doing that than going to lay. When are you coming?
    Not this coming weekend but the following. Thanks everyone for the help.
    2012 Sterling
    2017 250xs Racing

6. Member
    A spotted bass is a hole in a river that you just can't fill.
    If you're fishing with someone and you hook up make sure that he throws right behind you.
    ~~~~GROUND MEAT PRODUCTIONS~~~~
    OUTDOOR VIDEOS
    2016 XPRESS X21 ~ Yamaha F200LB ~ LOWRANCE ~ DAIWA ~

You can catch some large spots on Jordan and Mitchell and some numbers this time of year. I have caught numerous spots on Jordan that hit a red eye shad, and when I got them in the boat they had 3 or 4 other shad in their mouth.

Jason Davis, MSgt, USAF, Retired

IF YOUR NOT GETTING HUNG UP, YOUR NOT FISHING WHERE THE FISH ARE!!"

2019 Falcon 195
    2019 Yamaha SHO 200 w 23P Fury
    Helix 9 DI (Bow)
    Helix 9 SI with Mega (Console)
    MK Ultrex 80lb
    NMEA 2k

8. Member
    Weiss has some giants. My favorite of the chain. Yes it is sketchy. If you like to fish shallow you will like it. Drive slow and be careful though
    01 Charger 395
    2000 Yamaha OX66 225
    Black 10' Blade
    Garmin 106 and 93sv console
    Garmin 126 and 93sv bow with livescope
    FX Custom Rods pro staff

9. Dogfish_Jones
    Drive very slow on Weiss this time of year. Most of the lakes on the Coosa chain are drawn down for their winter pool.

10. Member
    Neely Henry does not draw down anymore. Damn shame!
    1997 STRATOS 285 PE EVINRUDE INTRUDER 175

11. Netman extraordinaire Coosa Redeye's Avatar
    I will be on Weiss next Saturday for a tournament. Absolutely my favorite Coosa lake. As others have said, go slow there this time of year, especially being on the lake for your 1st time.