Thread: HELP!!!

Question HELP!!!

So, I've been reading this forum for a while now, but this is my first post! I have a 2007 Z20 that is having an electrical problem. The only buttons that work on the touchpad are Start, Stop and 1,2,3,4. None of the accessory buttons will work. The clock will start ticking when I press start, will run for about 15 seconds, and stop. The depth finders will begin to power up, but they will stop at the same time the clock stops. I had this same problem about a month ago and I changed out the starting battery and cleaned all the cables and the problem stopped. I've jumped out both the breakers to see if they were the problem but that wasn't it. I know it sounds like I need a new touchpad, but I want to get some more opinions before I shell out the $$ for one. I just replaced it about 2 years ago.

Mods, if I've posted this in the wrong forum, please move to where it belongs!

If you'be checked all the fuses and they are good then I'd think the touch pad is bad. I'd take it to a dealer or a boat shop and have it tested. Could save you a lot of "Chasing" to find the problem
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

3. Member
    My 05 Z21 did something close to that. Turned out the main breaker was bad. Installed a new one and life was good.

4. Member
    I'd certainly look at the breakers. Things have changed over the last 10 years. My bass cat was kicking the TM breaker after anything more than a 1-2 minute wide open run. Checked all the wiring, etc. Discovered that my 24v Maxxum Pro 80# motor draws 56 amps at max power. Standard breaker seems to be 50 amps. Not good enough. Bought a 60 amp breaker and the problem went away. Today's sonars are also pretty power-thirsty with the bigger and brighter screens. Thirsty enough to flatten a battery before you realize it, or trip a breaker.
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

5. Member
    Thanks guys. I’ve jumped the breakers temporarily to see if that was the problem and it wasn’t. Also, there are no fuses in this boat. I’m getting 12.53 volts to the “brain” which is about what I have at the battery. I know I could take it to a shop, but I like to make sure it’s nothing that I can fix before paying those labor rates! Right now, looks like another new brain and keypad.

6. Member

Have you checked main fuse on motor?

Quote Originally Posted by tr62 View Post
    Thanks guys. I’ve jumped the breakers temporarily to see if that was the problem and it wasn’t. Also, there are no fuses in this boat. I’m getting 12.53 volts to the “brain” which is about what I have at the battery. I know I could take it to a shop, but I like to make sure it’s nothing that I can fix before paying those labor rates! Right now, looks like another new brain and keypad.
    I had same boat with an Evinrude that did same as you described. It turned out to be the motors computer died. If this is it the main fuse on the engine will be blown. Replace fuse and run a start sequence, mine would blow fuse when pushing start. The computer cost was going to be $1K so traded it in new boat
    Good luck

7. Member
    they do offer a replacement key pad with new brain box. Just call Ranger if you cannot find the problem.
    800 724 7273