Winter deep crankin

I'm looking for suggestions on flat sided deep cranks 12-15' +. I have some Lil John DD's already. I throw a lot of shad rap #5/7's and was thinking about getting some #9's. At 9/16oz I'm not sure they are heavy enough to throw on Dobyns 805cb, Might have to throw them on a different rod. Any other baits I should look at? I don't see a lot flat side deep cranks available on TW.

2. Member
    Bomber Fat Free Shad

3. Member
    Rapala DT16

One of my favorite cold water cranks is a DT16. I throw this bait a lot on finicky lakes and it out-fishes other cranks by a mile. I like it because it has a tighter wiggle than most other cranks and it's a high floater. When I crash it into something and stop it, and it floats up fast, that's when I usually get hit. Rapala is known for it's high quality, so I never worry about the bait failing.

4. Member
    I'll have to keep trying the DT16, I have plenty of those but I've never done very well with them in cold water.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassakwards View Post
    I'll have to keep trying the DT16, I have plenty of those but I've never done very well with them in cold water.
    I will say that I don't get a ton of bites on it, but the ones I do get are usually big. I don't reel it fast either, I'm never burning the bait. I'm reeling at a slow pace. Hope that helps.

We throw a bunch of DTs around here with great success. However, the main reason I personally favor the DTs over others is how well they come through weeds. Most of our lakes are full of them, and ripping a crankbait through/out of weeds is a great way to get bites....unless it's got a big gob of weeds hanging off of it when it gets ripped out. The DTs are incredible at not getting fouled.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

7. Member
    Highland lakes? Spro rock crawler is huge around here in winter in creeks with chunk rock in water that has a good stain to it. 10 pound mono will easily get to 15 feet no problem so flourocarbon would do it very easily.
    Last edited by Les Young; 11-07-2017 at 07:27 AM.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Young View Post
    Highland lakes? Spro rock crawler is huge around here in winter in creeks with chunk rock in water that has a good stain to it. 10 pound mono will easily get to 15 feet no problem so flourocarbon would do it very easily.
    Yeah, I have been meaning to pick up a couple of these too.

9. Member
    Extremely sharp hooks that will just fall under a fingernail & hang bad & then cause you to have to walk around at Conley Bottoms ramp asking if anyone knows the braid trick to get a hook out. Don't ask me how i know this. Seriously though the rock crawler is awsome for winter cranking.

10. Member
    caught them on a 10xd in 40 degree water

11. Banned
    Everything up here bounces when it hits the water! Sad

North End of Beautiful Norfork Lake...MO/AR Border
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Young View Post
    Extremely sharp hooks that will just fall under a fingernail & hang bad & then cause you to have to walk around at Conley Bottoms ramp asking if anyone knows the braid trick to get a hook out. Don't ask me how i know this. Seriously though the rock crawler is awsome for winter cranking.
    You mean like this?...........

Attached Images Attached Images

13. Member
    Yep just like that.

14. Member
    Tried the cold water (44) deep cranking, super slow retrieve method through a ball of shad for the first time last week and bagged one of my biggest LM of the year! Guess I'm sold on the technique now, lol!!

2012 Stratos 189 VLO/150 Mercury Pro XS/MinnKota Terrova

15. Member
    DT6 and DT10 are good choices as well.

16. Member
    I'm partial to a Norman DD22 in one certain color...

17. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by ToyotaKev View Post
    Tried the cold water (44) deep cranking, super slow retrieve method through a ball of shad for the first time last week and bagged one of my biggest LM of the year! Guess I'm sold on the technique now, lol!!
    Atleast you have water. My water is hard and has been for to long.

18. Member
    Water isn't hard, but it's been too damn cold to go the last few weekends. Haven't been able to try the crankin yet.