Ventilation in garage

I've always kept my bass boat in the garage that is attached to the house. Moved last year and installed a 24x30 metal insulated garage. I noticed my seats on the boat were getting mildew on them, 2x this summer and the inside window of the garage had a dirty film. I left the window cracked all summer. Another factor is the garage has an odd smell inside when the door stays closed for a period of time. I'm going to pay closer attention this winter to see if these issues go away. The garage also sits off in a wood line that stays shaded. At first I thought it was the insulation on the walls and ceiling that created the smell but that didn't answer the mildew on the seats that kept coming back. Wanted to identify the issue before I start cutting holes and adding vents. Even thought about an electric fan. Any feed back on ideas and steps that I need to take. Not happy my boat is getting mildew sitting in a garage. Thanks for any help

2. Member
    Humidity is a killer. Having no sun doesn't help. There isn't a perfect cure. Ventilation will help. Mechanical heating/cooling is the ticket but expensive and your building will need to be tight and insulated. If you ventilate try to do about 3 to 5 air changes per hours and arrange the fan accordingly. Exhaust the air and pull from as far away from the fan as possible trying to cover as much floor space as possible. It's hard to stop mildew. Dewpoint and temperature will cause condensation. Its hard to overcome nature, you can only try to help your situation.
    2014 Phoenix 721XP, 250 SHO, Bobs Action Jack, Dual Blades, 112 Ultrex, 2019 Lariat FX4 F150 Supercrew 4x4

3. Member
    ^^^ what he said ^^^

4. Member
    I use to have a 30 x 35 metal building in south Florida. The garage had no insulation and stood on a concrete slab. I never had any issues with it. It only had gable vents. I moved to N.E. Georgia and the same size building was built and have had nothing but problems with sweating and mildew and the same smell that you are describing. It's horrible....and my boat is long gone from inside it...now stored with a cover and under an adjacent carport. The garage is now filled with my construction business's tools and misc materials that can survive the conditions. I will never ever have another metal building here in Georgia. I thought about insulating it with expanding foam style insulation at $1,700.00 bucks and have heard other stories that it creates other issues...I have two gable end vents and an outdoor rated ceiling fan in it and nothing stops the sweating in the winter...you have joined my club... sorry....

5. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rcz118 View Post
    I've always kept my bass boat in the garage that is attached to the house. Moved last year and installed a 24x30 metal insulated garage. I noticed my seats on the boat were getting mildew on them, 2x this summer and the inside window of the garage had a dirty film. I left the window cracked all summer. Another factor is the garage has an odd smell inside when the door stays closed for a period of time. I'm going to pay closer attention this winter to see if these issues go away. The garage also sits off in a wood line that stays shaded. At first I thought it was the insulation on the walls and ceiling that created the smell but that didn't answer the mildew on the seats that kept coming back. Wanted to identify the issue before I start cutting holes and adding vents. Even thought about an electric fan. Any feed back on ideas and steps that I need to take. Not happy my boat is getting mildew sitting in a garage. Thanks for any help
    Where are you located?

6. Member
    If you were asking me...I live in Gainesville, Ga. 30507

7. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by edw View Post
    If you were asking me...I live in Gainesville, Ga. 30507
    I was asking the OP quoted in my post. He has no (real) location in his signature.
    Where you live makes a big difference in your ventilation needs.

8. Banned
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-50-pt...50LW/300734670
    Drain tube outside and your good to go...?

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rcz118 View Post
    If you have electric service in the garage, there are a number of ventilation fans that are triggered based on humidity levels. Humidex makes two models that should work....you set the humidity level and if it rises above that, the fan kicks on. Call me captain Obvious, the first step is to stop moisture infiltration as fans and dehumidifiers address symptoms, not the problem.

10. Member
    Stopping moisture in some environments is almost impossible. First, dry air is a sponge to moist air. The only way to dry air (keeping moisture out) is with a very good vapor barrier, this includes all surfaces plus doors and windows. And lot of mechanical and electrical equipment involved.
    2014 Phoenix 721XP, 250 SHO, Bobs Action Jack, Dual Blades, 112 Ultrex, 2019 Lariat FX4 F150 Supercrew 4x4

11. Member
    BroWhoop, This sounds like the only solution...wow$$$$...I tried the dehumidifier thing with the hose quite some time ago...The appliance would never shut off and my electric bill went sky high...

12. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by fishing66 View Post
    If you have electric service in the garage, there are a number of ventilation fans that are triggered based on humidity levels. Humidex makes two models that should work....you set the humidity level and if it rises above that, the fan kicks on. Call me captain Obvious, the first step is to stop moisture infiltration as fans and dehumidifiers address symptoms, not the problem.
    If you can't do this ^^^, then you can put a couple of fans in there to keep the air moving. Dead moist air will allow mold and mildew for form much faster than moving air. It's a cheap temporary solution, and might work better than you think.

13. Member
    Nova, sorry for the delay. Work kicking my tail. I live in NC near Jordan and Harris lake. Next project is wiring the shop. Fans will be in the future. Too much money in it to stop now.

14. Member
    Ventilation is the cheapest way to help the situation. It will work in most of the time but there can be situations where you still can still have issues.

15. Member
    Ventilation is not going to be the cure. Dehumidifier is the way to go get one with a hose hook up that you can run outside. Ventilation would only work if you are getting dry air.