Favorite line for shakey heads?

7ft. medium fast action bait caster throwing 1/4 to 3/8 heads? Thanks
    Last edited by Les Young; 11-05-2017 at 02:39 PM.

2. Member
    8-12# fluoro

3. Banned
    7 lb test Sunline is my go to for shakey heads.

4. Member
    What a Medium Action rod 10 or 12 lb Floro is a good place to start. You could go higher or lower but higher LB Test if you wanted. But Higher you may as well jump to a MH whereas lower you'd be better off using spinning tackle.

I like braid with a fluoro leader for shakey heads. I throw mine on a spinning rod, though.

At the risk of going on another tangent (see other threads on this board....), I'd still personally be throwing high-vis braid with an 6-12 lb fluoro leader, depending on cover and water clarity. That high-vis braid is a big deal for sensitivity and seeing bites before feeling them, but would make me uneasy on its own for something like a shakey head - hence the fluoro leader. Best of both worlds!
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post
    I like braid with a fluoro leader for shakey heads. I throw mine on a spinning rod, though.

At the risk of going on another tangent (see other threads on this board....), I'd still personally be throwing high-vis braid with an 6-12 lb fluoro leader, depending on cover and water clarity. That high-vis braid is a big deal for sensitivity and seeing bites before feeling them, but would make me uneasy on its own for something like a shakey head - hence the fluoro leader. Best of both worlds!
    Thanks. I do have hiviz braid on my spinning outfit. I just bought a finesse bait casting rod that is pretty sensitive so I can fish with either one if needed. I know i’ll have to use a little heavier line on the baitcasting rod then I will on the spinning rod, but windered if I should go braid with flouro leader on both or just go straight flouro on the bait caster?

7. Member
    I go straight flouro on my shakey head rod.. I tried braid with flour leader just wasn't for me.. I use a nrx shakey head rod and 6 lb. Tatsu and catch a ton of fish with that combo. I seemed to miss a ton of fish on the braid combo don't know y just did.. and this is only my 2 cents
    07 tracker TX 190
    75 horse Mercury
    999 KVD, 859 , and 798 SI HD

Quote Originally Posted by Les Young View Post
    Thanks. I do have hiviz braid on my spinning outfit. I just bought a finesse bait casting rod that is pretty sensitive so I can fish with either one if needed. I know i’ll have to use a little heavier line on the baitcasting rod then I will on the spinning rod, but windered if I should go braid with flouro leader on both or just go straight flouro on the bait caster?
    It's all about preference, for sure. I've noticed a lot of folks are of the opinion that the only time you'd do the braid with a leader thing is on a spinning rod. I'm far from what I consider even a good fisherman so take this all for what it's worth, but I'm clearly not of that opinion. In fact, after trying and having a lot of success with a heavy fluoro leader on my flipping/punching set up last year, just about the only rods I have that never see braid with a leader are my frog rod and my crankbait rod. The frog rod gets straight 65 lb braid, and the crankbait rod gets straight 12 lb mono. Though I'll usually throw swim jigs/chatterbaits/spinnerbaits on straight braid, I've not hesitated to put a leader on them either when around wood or docks or something else I'm worried about fraying the braid. Even my topwaters will get a stiff mono leader to prevent fouling of treble hooks.

I can't stand straight fluoro in any situation, and can really only deal with straight mono for the crankbaits due to losing fish the time I tried braid with a leader. Besides, the lazy/cheap side of me sure likes only having to change line once per year (and it only gets truly replaced every other year - I spool the year old stuff on backwards before tossing it).
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBass94 View Post
    8-12# fluoro
    Thanks, i was figuring on 12 pound if I went straight flourocarbon.

10. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Young View Post
    Thanks, i was figuring on 12 pound if I went straight flourocarbon.
    I fish jigs on 12 lb. flouro, You'll have better luck with the lightest line and head you can get away with, normally.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by d'Wayne View Post
    I fish jigs on 12 lb. flouro, You'll have better luck with the lightest line and head you can get away with, normally.
    We’re talking from bank to 30 or so feet deep. I was planning on 1/4 shallow & 3/8 deep. Sound about right? I tried 12lb. mono the other day with a 1/4 oz. head, but when I went 3/8 I could feel so much more. Thanks

12. Member
    20 lb PowerPro slick with 8-10 lb Tatsu FC leader. This on a DX 702 with Aldebaron.

NoCAL
    2004TR-21X/2015 250 ProXS
    2B112175

Straight 10 lb Seaguar Red Label on a baitcaster combo much like Les Young's. Works well. I usually use a 1/4 oz Owner Ultra round head. They also have a football version, but we have got more weeds from bank to 30' than rocks, generally speaking. This has been my best producer this year, with a GP 5" Zoom lizard. If anybody makes a copy with a bigger baitholder, I'd like to know about it.

14. Member
    Thirty pound Power Pro with 12 pound invisx fluorocarbon leader. Sometimes 15 pound leader.