Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    The weight difference between the Odyssey and Optima is not a quality issue, it's simple geometry. The spiral cells are inefficient use of space. If you look at one you can immediately see that the battery volume is actually much smaller than a rectangular plate battery even though the footprint is the same.
    Poor architecture is a design flaw in my opinion. I'd much rather have the same performance out of a smaller case size than a bunch of air in places I can't recover.
    2015 Yellowfin 21 with 2014 Yamaha SHO 250

Quote Originally Posted by Lou r Pitcher View Post
    Optima does not seem to specify a limit on alternator outputs. An alternator is typically single voltage regulated.
    I would have thought 50 amps on a boat alternator is -- (just that-50 amps) How would it know when it had an optima that specify a "10 amp MAXIMUM"

3. Member
    The lands of the former Republic of Texas
    Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    I would have thought 50 amps on a boat alternator is -- (just that-50 amps) How would it know when it had an optima that specify a "10 amp MAXIMUM"
    The alternator doesn't detect it is an Optima. Optima does not specify a limit on a fixed voltage regulated alternator output current...but they do on a temp comped, varying voltage, multi staged charger.

A 50 amp capable voltage regulated alternator simply provides an output voltage no greater than ~14.4volts, and if the total load (battery & boat accessories) would draw more current than the alternator can provide, the output voltage reduces.
    Last edited by Lou r Pitcher; 11-19-2017 at 10:47 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12