Long Term Puma FTD Impressions

Hard to believe that I'm closing in on 5 years with my 2013 Puma FTD. Since day 1 when I put it on a lift in a covered slip, and on average, I've fished probably at least 2 days a week year-round. I just returned from a 5 week stay at Lake of the Ozarks, and literally fished every day. So, it's safe to say I've logged some serious seat time in my Puma.

For cars, motorcycles and boats -- I typically get an itch for upgrading at about the 5 year mark, and it becomes a challenge to fend off the urge to get something new. I've been waiting for that to set in for my Puma. Even after this past 5 week run....the itch just hasn't set in. I love this boat.

There's really nothing (overall performance, reliability, fit and finish, storage, fishability, comfort and aesthetics) I feel I'm missing. I get in the boat, I go, I fish, I enjoy. I spent the entire day yesterday doing my typical top-to-bottom cleaning, polishing, waxing, and screws/bolts tightening check (didn't find a single fastener loose).

The only two things I'm getting an itch for are an Ultrex and upgraded electronics. The 80 Fortrex and Humminbirds that came with the boat still do a fine job and work perfectly -- but I think spot lock would be nice and some higher resolution and bells and whistles on the new Humminbirds would be valuable accessories upgrade. Perhaps some day.

Meanwhile, thank you BCB for designing and building one of the finest bass boats out there. I'm a customer for life.

I2D
    2013 Bass Cat Puma FTD DC

Hard not to love fishing out of a BassCat.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

Get the Ultrex, you will love it.

" A Few Good Fish"
    Please check out my youtube channel
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuuwIthNWDweOTGjtkfOVGw

Nice write up........The Ultrex is a game changer!

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FishStalker View Post
    Nice write up........The Ultrex is a game changer!
    The puma is a nice rig. So, did you catch any fish at LOZ?

7. Member
    The puma is a nice rig. So, did you catch any fish at LOZ?
    I did. Was hoping for my PB best this trip trying some new things and tightening-up some of my go-to presentations, but didn't manage that.
    Water temps were still pretty warm, and 3 cold fronts blew through making it a challenge, but had a great time and feel I can attack that lake better next time.
    2013 Bass Cat Puma FTD DC

8. Member
    I am in the same boat as you (diff brand - 2011 rig), but I still really enjoy my ride. I use to upgrade every 3 years. I browse through the boats for sale all the time and keep an eye on models and pricing. I did upgrade to Ultrex and much larger graphs. I will be looking hard at 1-2 year old Lynx in the next few years.

I have a 2009 Puma with a 250ProXs on it and I have thought about getting a new Puma but, then I look at the price tag and the few changes that have been made on the newer models and I ask myself why waste the money. I have up graded electronics but, still have a Fortrex on it. My Mercury has 840 hours on it and still runs like a new one but, I have performed all the maintenance on it by the book. I have decide to put an Ultrex on it and if the motor pops I will just buy a new one and put on it. I have owned 7 Cats and couldn’t imagine owning another brand.