Thread: Ranger latches

Ranger latches

Just curious if the plastic washers that are under the t-handles are replaceable on the compartment latches? I have 3 that after they started to become deformed and the handle didn't sit flush that I decided to remove them. Everything works fine without them, they just are not as smooth, plus now metal on metal. Is this a waste of my time to even replace? Is this common? Honestly the only thing on the boat that I would say are sub par.
    2017 Ranger 518 w/ Evinrude 150HO G2

2. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    I’m not sure I understand your question. Since you have removed your washers, surely they can also be replaced with new ones, and a call to Ranger Parts would probably score you free ones. But if you are thinking replacement with a better material, washers shouldn’t be too hard to fabricate. Just have to come up with a more durable material. Lots of ingenious guys on here, so someone probably has a material suggestion. Could you post a picture so we know what it looks like?
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

3. Banned
    Do you have a picture of the washer you are looking to replace? you can probably make one by cutting up a plastic lid from a yogurt tub, and just change them as they wear out.

4. Member
    Call Perko.
    I had lost one on one of my latches, called them and the lady I talked to sent me about a dozen for free.
    Mike

2019 Ranger 520L w/ 250HO ETEC G2
    2011 Tracker 175TXW w/ 75HO ETEC

5. Member
    Thanks. I will try and post some pictures tonight.

6. Banned
    I understand your problem as I have a couple doing the same thing. The black plastic washer gets beveled due to the pressure and causes the latch to not close flush. I took one apart and heated the washer a bit then turned it over. Its working better for now but needs a new washer. Needless to say I'm not a big fan of these locks. I believe they are manufactured by Whitecap and are inferior to the Southcos on C boats.

7. Member
    Yeah those perko latches are junk. Especially the locking ones.
    Pete | 2011 Ranger Z118 | Yamaha HPDI 150

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by psj706 View Post
    I understand your problem as I have a couple doing the same thing. The black plastic washer gets beveled due to the pressure and causes the latch to not close flush. I took one apart and heated the washer a bit then turned it over. Its working better for now but needs a new washer. Needless to say I'm not a big fan of these locks. I believe they are manufactured by Whitecap and are inferior to the Southcos on C boats.
    this is exactly what is happening. I have removed 3 and have one more starting to do the same.

9. Banned
    I just had one of these latches replaced under warranty. The new latch has a SS washer instead of the black plastic washer in question.