I Class hull vs. FX hull ?

Having had an 07 21I, how does the performance compare in the new FX 21? Mainly the rough water ride. Have my new boat choice down to the FX 21 or Phoenix 21PHX. Thanks in advance, Bill

2. Member
    Had 7 skeeters since 2001 I class, ZX and FX models. In 2 weeks I pick up my Phoenix PHX 21 and trading in my 2017Skeeter FX 21. Took a day of fishing out of the PHX to make the switch. I’d test drive a PHX 21 at the very least.

I would test drive them - the differences will be pretty clear. Unfortunate that Skeeter nixed the I Class.
    2024 Phoenix 21 XE - Mercury 250 PRO XS Serial #3B429919
    2017 Phoenix PHX 21 - Yamaha 250 SHO
    2010 Skeeter 20i - Yamaha 250 SHO
    1988 Procraft 1780 Competitor - Mercury 100

4. Member
    The IClass is the best riding boat I've ever been in...by far. Hated that it's no longer made.

5. Member
    that's why im keepin my 09

The PHX compares very well to the I class - I honestly think it's even better in really large swells as the V runs even further back but I'm going to withhold judgment until I run it a full season in the worst the Northeast has to offer.

7. Member
    I've never owned an iClass boat, but have owned an FX. I have driven one and fished out of several iClass boats and quite a bit out of one of them several years back. While they are certainly a nice riding boat, I don't find it to be a game changer. I've owned ZX, FX, Champion, and few others that I wouldn't consider a contender for comparison sake. I am currently in a Triton awaiting my new ZX 250 to come in.

The iClass, ZX, FX debate. Is one better or simply different? I believe they each have different characteristics, though I don't feel as though I could firmly state one rode "better" than the other.

If you go over and ask the Champion guys, they will tell you the Champ is the best riding boat ever built. I enjoyed my Champion when I had it and it rode quite well. However, I'm not going out and looking to purchase one.

I can state with confidence that I will never own another Triton as this boat has been the worst riding modern day boat I've ever been in.

You asked about the Phoenix. I was debating Phoenix, Skeeter, and Bass Cat just about 2 months ago. I had almost made up my mind to go with the Phoenix until I took a test drive. The Phoenix is certainly a nice boat and it rode well, but it did not ride like a Skeeter. Again though, go over to the Phoenix threads and they will tell you the Phoenix is the best riding boat made today. As for the Bass Cat, I did not want a narrow boat which took me to the new Lynx. I have yet to ride in a Lynx, though once I was quoted an absolute ridiculous price I knew that wasn't going to happen. The Bass Cat guys will also tell you that their boats are the best riding boat out there.

Can I say one was better than the other? Probably not, but I will say that one was different than the other. If asked, I don't think I could even describe the differences other than tell you they are different. Most of the differences are really quite subtle.

If you are wondering or questioning the difference in how they ride, there is really only one way to find out which would be to go ride in both of them. That will help you make your decision.

Hope that helps.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SOTXRG View Post
    I've never owned an iClass boat, but have owned an FX. I have driven one and fished out of several iClass boats and quite a bit out of one of them several years back. While they are certainly a nice riding boat, I don't find it to be a game changer. I've owned ZX, FX, Champion, and few others that I wouldn't consider a contender for comparison sake. I am currently in a Triton awaiting my new ZX 250 to come in.

The iClass, ZX, FX debate. Is one better or simply different? I believe they each have different characteristics, though I don't feel as though I could firmly state one rode "better" than the other.

If you go over and ask the Champion guys, they will tell you the Champ is the best riding boat ever built. I enjoyed my Champion when I had it and it rode quite well. However, I'm not going out and looking to purchase one.

I can state with confidence that I will never own another Triton as this boat has been the worst riding modern day boat I've ever been in.

You asked about the Phoenix. I was debating Phoenix, Skeeter, and Bass Cat just about 2 months ago. I had almost made up my mind to go with the Phoenix until I took a test drive. The Phoenix is certainly a nice boat and it rode well, but it did not ride like a Skeeter. Again though, go over to the Phoenix threads and they will tell you the Phoenix is the best riding boat made today. As for the Bass Cat, I did not want a narrow boat which took me to the new Lynx. I have yet to ride in a Lynx, though once I was quoted an absolute ridiculous price I knew that wasn't going to happen. The Bass Cat guys will also tell you that their boats are the best riding boat out there.

Can I say one was better than the other? Probably not, but I will say that one was different than the other. If asked, I don't think I could even describe the differences other than tell you they are different. Most of the differences are really quite subtle.

If you are wondering or questioning the difference in how they ride, there is really only one way to find out which would be to go ride in both of them. That will help you make your decision.

Hope that helps.
    This is some good thought. It will always narrow down to what YOU perfer, and by YOU, you are behind the wheel comparing them. Many ride reports come as passengers. I can make an I Class the worst riding boat.

I can make an NRX the worst casting rod. ;) Aside from the test drive talk to Sean at Weidas he sells both brands and has run the I Class, FX and PHX each for multiple seasons - he can sell/run whatever he wants. He is also good at articulating the subtle and not so subtle differences.

10. Member
    I finally had the chance to run my boat in bad water 2 weeks ago.(haven't had it but a few months and have been blessed with good weather)
    Was stupid impressed with how it ran and handled. Came from a Legend... didn't believe the bug would compare. I was wrong, it was actually better.

Are you running an FXI 21? I looked around for one of those before buying but couldn’t find any for sale.

I have owned an I Class as well as 3 ZX225's, 1 Zx250 and a ZX195c. I felt the I Class had the best ride of them all. Just bought a FX20 and after getting some seat time in it I do not think the I Class beats the ride at all. For sure my FX seems a lot more responsive and handles quicker. I know that is subjective and some of that may be due to the SHO but the FX hull has really impressed me a lot. The FX handles rough water just fine. Most any 20-21' brand boat will if the driver has any clue on how to drive it. I seriously question people's driving ability if they bitch about the ride in a 20-21' boat of any brand. Most of bitching is fanboyism anyway. I chose the FX20 because I fish in a lot of timber and love dock fishing so the 20' is a bit more maneuvrable for me. I just prefer a 20' boat.

I owned the I Class for 3 years and I can say that I would not trade my FX for it even though I really loved the I Class. Something about this FX just makes me happy I bought it. All my little gripes in my past I boat and ZX boats were addressed and corrected in the FX. From the metal dash and bow panels, the better rod straps and improved cooler I have ZERO complaints about the FX. Its a joy to drive and it has the great Skeeter fishability you expect.

I came out of a Ranger Z520 this time and that boat was nothing short of awesome. Held up VERY well in the 5 years I had it and the FX has some big shoes to fill to beat it out in terms of my favorite boat I have owned but its well on its way. The build quality on my FX is incredible. They really put together a solid boat. For sure its the best build quality I have had in a Skeeter and that is not saying the others were bad either but this one is for sure ahead of all of them.

If you have the chance the best bet is to ride/drive both an I Class and an FX and see what fits you best. In the end you need to be happy.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Meleagris1 View Post
    Are you running an FXI 21? I looked around for one of those before buying but couldn’t find any for sale.
    Yes, it is an FXI21. 2015 model.
    Lucked into this one. Stupid clean,had all the bells and whistles 3.5 yrs of warranty left on motor and was priced right.

14. Member
    sounds like a winner

15. Member
    If you know how to drive, you will love the FX21 or the PHX. Both big water boats, both very nice boats. Ive put 110 hours on my FX since the beginning of June and I am already planning for the next one.

16. Member
    my old iclass pushed out 74.5 today at 5800. slight chop, fully fueled, empty wells, just me and the rest of my crap. add an extra prop to my list of extras in the boat