Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

250 Pro XS - Bouncing

So, I have been having some issues with my motor staying on my motor mate, and I noticed something else this weekend that has to be related.

When I am coming off of plane, my motor will bounce up, and then bounce back down when the speed slows. I hope that makes sense.. Same kind of a deal, if I put it into reverse, the motor will bounce up with no resistance whatsoever. This cannot be right. I watched 42 boats unload today at the ramp, and I didn't see any others with this issue.

I had my tilt/trim professionally checked over, and the mechanic saw no issues.

What do I need to do now?
    Cody // 2011 Phoenix 721

2. Member
    Are you sure your upper motor mounts aren't broke?

Quote Originally Posted by angle iron View Post
    Are you sure your upper motor mounts aren't broke?
    I'm not sure of anything. Whats the procedure to check that?
    Cody // 2011 Phoenix 721

Quote Originally Posted by bCody View Post
    I had my tilt/trim professionally checked over, and the mechanic saw no issues.

What do I need to do now?
    Find a new mechanic. Something is wrong. I would not operate this boat until it's fixed.
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

5. Member
    Respectfully Sir STOP driving this boat before you, or someone else gets seriously hurt!!!!!!

Others have ALREADY told you (back in October) that you most likely have a Adapter Plate problem, which is a BIG time safety issue.

2011 Pro XS 250 - Bouncing around!

The motor can end up INSIDE the boat, while still running, inflicting serious harm to the occupants!

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bCody View Post
    I'm not sure of anything. Whats the procedure to check that?
    Tilt engine up about halfway grab lower unit and see if engine pivots back in forth about in inch. If top mounts are broke it needs to be fixed ASAP the driveshaft is only thing holding engine. This is a very poor design by Mercury at the customers expense.

7. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    Respectfully Sir STOP driving this boat before you, or someone else gets seriously hurt!!!!!!

Others have ALREADY told you (back in October) that you most likely have a Adapter Plate problem, which is a BIG time safety issue.

2011 Pro XS 250 - Bouncing around!

The motor can end up INSIDE the boat, while still running, inflicting serious harm to the occupants!

LISTEN TO THIS MAN!

Fellas, I can’t move this thing when it’s sitting on the trailer. It’s pretty solid. No vertical play like I see while coming off of plane.

I’ll definitely go get it checked out again.
    Cody // 2011 Phoenix 721

9. Banned
    Well maybe your transom is about to break off then.

BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

Keep driving it and wonder what that sharp feeling is on the back of your head one day
    Ryan Bauman 2022 Ranger 520R 250 Mercury ProXS Fourstroke

It's going in the shop tomorrow. I'll be sure to update you guys on what it was.
    Cody // 2011 Phoenix 721

13. Member
    I had the same problem on my 250xs. I had to rope the motor onto my transom saver to keep it from bouncing while trailering it to the shop. They ended up replacing the mounts and seal where you fill the oil in the trim. Add another $600 on top of the thousands of dollars I've already spent keeping this motor going. Motor has just under 400 hours and I've probably dumped at least $8000 into this turd not including the cost of annual maintenance costs.

So, just dropped it off at the mechanic. Told him what it was doing, and walked right up to the motor and pulled up on it pretty hard, and of course it moved. I guess I was too weak to move it. haha

When it moved, the main tilt rod moved back and forth too, so that is the culprit.

I also told him to check a few other things that were mentioned here as well. So, thanks again for all of your help.
    Cody // 2011 Phoenix 721

15. Major Flagelator Gamblinman's Avatar
    Glad you're getting it fixed. I sure wouldn't look forward to having my outboard in the passenger seat next to me.
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

16. Member
    Agree......

17. Banned
    Yeah, I can’t imagine a 500+ pound motor flying through the air could end with a positive result.

18. Member
    If it's the main tilt rod does the whole power trim unit need to be replaced? I would have them inspect the lower & upper motor mounts as well just as a precaution.

Ranger z520 // Mercury 250 Pro XS
    12ft BT Talons/112 Ultrex/Hbird 360

Quote Originally Posted by mn_bowhunter View Post
    If it's the main tilt rod does the whole power trim unit need to be replaced? I would have them inspect the lower & upper motor mounts as well just as a precaution.
    Unfortunately, that what I was told.. I also requested other things to be checked as well.
    Cody // 2011 Phoenix 721

20. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    VERY glad to hear you're getting this taken care of. Respectfully... I literally cringe at the thought of things like this out on the water.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast