Garmin steadycast?

I assume this is mainly a compass to tell boat direction when your not moving. Does it have an arrow projecting from the boat icon on the screen?

Here is the reason I ask. I currently have ipilot link thinking about getting rid of it but one thing I really like is on the screen shows which way they tolling motor is pointed (with a projection arrow) I can wheel the motor around and point the arrow at a waypoint then let the motor do its thing on autopilot. I plan to upgrade to the new ipilot but drop my Humminbird and go all garmin electronics. I was thinking maybe I could mount this steadycast to the trolling motor head and get the same effect? The projection arrow is somewhat needed though.

2. Member
    You are on the right track. It is a fancy compass. In the unit software you can set a directional arrow however long you want it to be. At least on my 7610 I can. People mount them in all kinds of places but I never heard of mounting it on the trolling motor head, but I see what you are talking about. The Steadcast has to be free of nearby magnetic interference. Before you by one for this purpose I would recommend taking a regular magnetic compass and test the location both with the trolling motor off and on. See if where it points is affected. I don't know if that would be a problem but it might.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

3. Member
    My Humminbird has a directional compass also but I don’t find it nearly as useful as the arrow that shows where I am about to be going. Sounds like it has potential to work I could just make a bracket that attaches to the shaft below the head. Might be a spring project getting cold here now

4. Member
    There is a lot of flexibility in the mounting of SteadyCast. You can mount it most anywhere and in most any position, if not any position. The calibration adjusts for mounting position. The only limitation I saw was that it had to be free of near magnetic influence. A couiple of weeks ago I noticed mine was off. A pair of magnetized need-nosed pliers had slid in against it. Moved the pliers and everything was back to normal.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

Quote Originally Posted by puhlw View Post
    My Humminbird has a directional compass also but I don’t find it nearly as useful as the arrow that shows where I am about to be going. Sounds like it has potential to work I could just make a bracket that attaches to the shaft below the head. Might be a spring project getting cold here now
    Humminbird has two ways to show the direction of travel. GPS when above .6mph displays a Course Projection line or just the position icon points in the direction. When at less than .6 mph, the AS GPS HS antenna's compass indicates the direction the bow is pointed with a Heading line.
    The Heading line is yellow and the Course line is green. You can be drifting backwards and the green line will be pointed backwards, the yellow line will be pointed forward. If you are moving forward, both the green line and yellow line will be pointed forward.
    In either case, you can choose which one turns the Chart view to have the direction at the top of the view (Head Up or Course Up).

If you are sitting still and "about to be going", the Heading (compass) is the only indication you will have of direction.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

6. Member
    Good info Wayne. Garmin does the GPS direction and the Heading Sensor by user selection. On Auto I don't know if it switches back and forth on its own. It would seem the smart thing to do.

7. Member
    Yes there is a direction compass for the boat which shows the boat heading. With the pilot-link integrated it also shows the direction the trolling motor is pointed when on autopilot with a red arrow. This is the main function I would like. Thinking the large power cords going into the head may be an issue with the compass but we will see. Either way the steadycast would be a useful addition even if I just use it as intended.

8. Member
    I see what your saying now Wayne about the screen rotating around on me.

Quote Originally Posted by puhlw View Post
    Yes there is a direction compass for the boat which shows the boat heading. With the pilot-link integrated it also shows the direction the trolling motor is pointed when on autopilot with a red arrow. This is the main function I would like. Thinking the large power cords going into the head may be an issue with the compass but we will see. Either way the steadycast would be a useful addition even if I just use it as intended.
    As Leonard indicated, the SteadyCast can be mounted anywhere (including under deck) and in any orientation away from magnetic interference. I mount mine inside the starboard rod locker. So with this said, I see no reason you would mount to trolling motor.
    Garmin Pro Team

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd Driscoll View Post
    As Leonard indicated, the SteadyCast can be mounted anywhere (including under deck) and in any orientation away from magnetic interference. I mount mine inside the starboard rod locker. So with this said, I see no reason you would mount to trolling motor.
    You would almost have to see what I want to do to understand why I was thinking this Todd. I want to know what direction the trolling motor is pointed (on the screen) not what direction the boat is. (well really I would like to know both but I don't imagine you could have two sensors working at the same time)

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LWINCHESTER2 View Post
    There is a lot of flexibility in the mounting of SteadyCast. You can mount it most anywhere and in most any position, if not any position. The calibration adjusts for mounting position. The only limitation I saw was that it had to be free of near magnetic influence. A couiple of weeks ago I noticed mine was off. A pair of magnetized need-nosed pliers had slid in against it. Moved the pliers and everything was back to normal.
    Im very sorry but the pliers thing is kind of funny!