Red Ears and Blue Gills Kentucky Lake

Thinking of doing a trip for some blue gills and red ears. Is end of May about right for the spawn? What part of the lake has the best size fish? I was thinking a black pop-eye tipped with a wax worm on a bobber would work or a small 2 inch crappie tube with a powerbait niblet? Any and all suggestions would be a big help.

2. Member
    Look at the moon phase. You want to be there a few day before a full moon in May or June. June spawn will have more blue gills than red ear.

3. Member
    I go the last week of April first week of May every year with around 10 guys. We usually do really well with wax worm under bobber or red wigglers on bottom. If we miss them bedding we normally find them just out from bedding areas on secondary points. It is a blast when you find a good pocket of them when they're hungry. 100 fish in half hour to an hour. Good luck.

4. Member
    Thanks for the info....

5. Member
    I will tell you don't rule out Dale Hollow. Some of the biggest blue gills and red ears. I do my freezer filling there.
    Basscat!

6. Member
    Love Dale Hollow. Might have to take 2 trips...
    Quote Originally Posted by GRR884 View Post
    I will tell you don't rule out Dale Hollow. Some of the biggest blue gills and red ears. I do my freezer filling there.

7. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitro450 View Post
    I go the last week of April first week of May every year with around 10 guys. We usually do really well with wax worm under bobber or red wigglers on bottom. If we miss them bedding we normally find them just out from bedding areas on secondary points. It is a blast when you find a good pocket of them when they're hungry. 100 fish in half hour to an hour. Good luck.
    If you don't mind, what area do you fish.?

8. Member
    North end of the lake. It normally takes us a couple days to find them near sandy or gravely banks. But it changes every time we're there depending on water level. Just have to search until you find them.

9. Banned
    Thanks Nitro.

10. Member
    Your welcome. Good luck.