Question Xi5 Wireless Trolling Motor

Looking at getting the 24v Xi5 gps trolling motor for my xb2003. Pros/cons? Is there anyone running one on an Allison? Do they bounce alot because I've notice they dont have quite the support when stowed.

Xb2003 - 300xs
    100+ mph club

2. Member
    Ultrex!

3. Member
    Just going off my own personal past experience with MG and MK the MK has been a more durable and reliable motor. Just today I bought a terrova ipilot which will be the equivalent to the xi5, manual stow and deploy with gps and electric steering. The MK will weigh a few pounds more but it is a small price to pay to stay on the water. Also everyone says and I agree thrust for thrust the MK is a more powerful motor. If you want electric stow and deploy get the ulterra and for the most rugged model the ultrex is the way to go.

There are other considerations regarding the difference in brands. I have been researching this myself. Seems the MK's can link to Humminbirds and the MG's can link to Lowrance. I myself am leaning toward the MG as it ships with the foot pedal and remote and the foot pedal stands a chance of fitting in my pedal tray. I would have to build up the recess to gain access to all the functions on the pedal. The pedal for the Terrova looks like it's too big. It seems like folks with these motors tend to use the remote only. I guess until I use it I won't know.
    As far as remotes go the remote for the Terrova seems way more advanced than the MG and the MK now has Bluetooth.
    Feature for feature I'm finding the MG to be cheaper than the MK with performance and reliability to be about equal from what I've gathered on the web.
    Check some of the walleye forums. These guys use wireless motors quite a bit.

5. Member
    I’ve had both the Xi5 and the Ulterra. I’ll take the Xi5 as it has a quieter motor, the gps works better and it has a function the MK does not which is the heading route; point your boat to fish along straight line and the gps will maintain that heading regardless of wind or current. Oh, it also has the one touch feature that lets you move 10 feet in any directions with one touch of a button.

You’ll want to mount it on a plate that raises the trolling motor a little so you can mount it in-line with the boat. I use a quick detach plate.

6. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by scj View Post
    I’ve had both the Xi5 and the Ulterra. I’ll take the Xi5 as it has a quieter motor, the gps works better and it has a function the MK does not which is the heading route; point your boat to fish along straight line and the gps will maintain that heading regardless of wind or current. Oh, it also has the one touch feature that lets you move 10 feet in any directions with one touch of a button.

You’ll want to mount it on a plate that raises the trolling motor a little so you can mount it in-line with the boat. I use a quick detach plate.
    Ultrex has all of that as well, but the jog feature moves the boat 5' instead of 10'
    Fastbass Marine LLC
    We specialize in NEW and USED ALLISON BOATS, Blazer Boats, Platinum Mercury Marine Repower Center, AquaTraction Flooring, and custom marine electronic installations on beautiful Kentucky and Barkley Lakes.

2022 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite
    2022 Mercury 450R

2012 Bullet 21ss
    2005 Mercury 300X

https://youtu.be/FOnAGNWOgZ0

7. Member

Ipilots have always had heading mode. Since the very first one years ago.
    2015 Yellowfin 21 with 2014 Yamaha SHO 250

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Powell View Post
    Ultrex has all of that as well, but the jog feature moves the boat 5' instead of 10'
    I don't know anything about the Ultrex

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marshfly View Post
    Ipilots have always had heading mode. Since the very first one years ago.
    MK does not use the gps to maintain a heading like the MG does. MK is point in a direction and set speed. The wind and current can vary your course requiring input from the user. MG will maintain your heading regardless of the conditions.
    Last edited by scj; 11-06-2017 at 08:55 AM.

10. BBC SPONSOR
    Fastbass Marine LLC
    We specialize in NEW and USED ALLISON BOATS, Blazer Boats, Platinum Mercury Marine Repower Center, AquaTraction Flooring, and custom marine electronic installations on beautiful Kentucky and Barkley Lakes.

2022 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite
    2022 Mercury 450R

2012 Bullet 21ss
    2005 Mercury 300X

https://youtu.be/FOnAGNWOgZ0

11. Member
    MK does not use the gps to maintain a heading like the MG does. MK is point in a direction and set speed. The wind and current can vary your course requiring input from the user. MG will maintain your heading regardless of the conditions.
    Make does maintain a heading. This feature is called Advanced Autopilot on MK.
    2013 Allison BasSport Pro
    2010 Mercury 250 Pro XS

12. Member
    Yes it does. Check out page 52 of the manual.
    https://www.minnkotamotors.com/WorkA...t.aspx?id=2994

A VERY long time ago, Minn Kota had something called Autopilot available by itself. That used a compass only. At the time Motorguide had nothing. They quickly added the iPilot with the GPS. The motors still have the Autopilot available but it really only gets used if you hit the button right when you drop the motor and the GPS hasn't locked onto the satellites yet.
    2015 Yellowfin 21 with 2014 Yamaha SHO 250

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Powell View Post
    Xi5 is 5' jog ,not 10,has 2gps receivers, still light years ahead of MK, dealer for both and used both on my xb03, had 4 new basscats arrive at shop out of 10 and ultrex was no good, just my opinion. Xi5 cuts thru the jungle better with an mk wedge 2 prop. Can go for miles in slop and never pull it to clean hydrilla, or wild rice. I made a 1/2" alum plate to mount the xi5 ,it wont work w/out one on an xb03,prolly not xb21 either, never used MK gateway,but MG was flawless on a lowrance touch unit. Either will work well

14. Member
    Thanks, I went with the xi5. I fish very little so I'm sure either one would of worked fine I just wanted the anchor feature and wireless pedal.

Xb2003 - 300xs
    100+ mph club

You will love the anchor mode,i have fished lake ontario in 35mph winds and it keeps me on my rockpiles pretty well.plus you can record 8 tracks of up to 4 miles each. If you fish alot of shoreline, and the thing will just run you down the shoreline while you cast, and steer around shoals and rocks that you previously recorded.