Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Echomap 70s won't power on

Hello,

I have a 70s on the console and a 70dv on the bow. Recently the 70s got hung up at the Garmin load screen and wouldn't boot past that. It would work intermittently, so I thought maybe it was a power supply issue. The fuse was good, and I swapped the bow unit to the console and it worked fine, so that ruled out a power issue outside of the unit (I think). Now when I try to start the unit I hear a beep sometimes, but the screen doesn't light up at all and nothing seems to happen. I unplug it, and when I plug it back in sometimes it will beep again when power is pressed, sometimes I get nothing from it at all. As I said I've tried swapping locations with the 70DV and that unit will work at the bow or the console, but my 70S won't work anywhere. Any ideas? I contacted Garmin support but waiting on an answer from them.

2. Member
    The flat rate repair on an echomap 70s is $220. I believe you will be deciding whether to put that much into this unit or towards a new unit. I know what I'd do but it's your money. I'd get either an echomap chirp 93sv that is discounted now or one of the newer echomap plus 93sv. If you only need a 7 inch screen then drop to the 73sv's.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LWINCHESTER2 View Post
    The flat rate repair on an echomap 70s is $220. I believe you will be deciding whether to put that much into this unit or towards a new unit. I know what I'd do but it's your money. I'd get either an echomap chirp 93sv that is discounted now or one of the newer echomap plus 93sv. If you only need a 7 inch screen then drop to the 73sv's.
    All the listed units work with panoptix, but will not network for all functions is that correct? For example sonar.

Once again am fact finding

4. Member
    The new "Plus" echomap units don't network out of the box due to software. Will get an update Q1 to add networking for sonar. They've been engineered for it but don't have the software yet. That makes it like some of the older units that are used for Panoptix and networking. One Panoptix/network port means you have to go through a box to use Panoptix on two units. While it is great that it will network you can't just take two units and connect them if you are using Panoptix. That's one port short. I could use one with my 7610 as a second unit because the 7610 has two network ports. It's still a pretty big enhancement. The biggest complaint I heard about the echomap chirp 73sv and 93sv units was that the Panoptix port couldn't be used for networking and now they will be adding that to these new echomap Plus units.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

I'd love to upgrade to newer and bigger units but I'm not sure that's in the cards for me right now. I've already got the GCV10 module to connect to my Echomap units, but would that allow me to network a 70dv with a newer model?

6. Member
    Will you be able to share maps on these new echo map plus units?

Get an exchange for what you have. Newer units are not that different. Chirp being the biggest.

I like my 70dv for panoptix and am currently waiting for my exchange unit

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wakepics View Post
    I'd love to upgrade to newer and bigger units but I'm not sure that's in the cards for me right now. I've already got the GCV10 module to connect to my Echomap units, but would that allow me to network a 70dv with a newer model?
    I think so. Todd will have to give the definitive answer on this. I can say that the original echomap 73,93, etc don't do networking or Panoptix. Then the echomap CHIRP 73,93 etc did do Panoptix but not networking. So a GCV10 won't do any good with them. The just announced echomap Plus units are advertised that they will share sonar when they release new software for them in 2018. "Fully networkable" is not a term being used so radar and a host of other things is not included. Looks like sonar and waypoints. Networking maps may not be include either. We just don't know yet.

9. Member
    I had something similar happen to one of my 7600 units. Turned out to be the backlight setting on one was down to zero. The unit seemed like it was not powering up, but my network recognized it. I then powered it up to the "black screen" and fiddled with trying to remember how to adjust the backlight setting. Finally got it to a point where I could see something, and then reset the backlight to a good setting.
    I thing I saw something in one of the recent software updates that addressed this "problem". You might want to try it just for kicks.
    ><((((º>`·._ .·´¯><((((º>`·. _ .·´¯·. ><((((º>

Appreciate the suggestion catmantwo, but now when it's plugged in to power and I press the power button I don't even get a beep. Something weird going on I think and probably beyond my troubleshooting capabilities

Regarding the questions about echoMAP Plus units and future networking (with the upcoming update), as the original press release stated, this update will allow sonar sharing and user data sharing between echomap Plus 7” or 9” units. Map sharing from built-in maps or mapping cards is not supported. However, with the ActiveCaptain App and OneChart, you will be able to transfer tiles of LakeVuHD Ultra or BlueChart Vision cards to these echomaps that you have registered.

Other Ethernet features like RADAR are not supported either. Communication with GPSMap units is not supported, and backwards compatibility to previous generation echoMAPs is not planned.
    Garmin Pro Team

12. Member
    My 70dv did almost the same exact thing and it was a loose ground wire. would work intermittently.
    wire it up on workbench with a battery put it in simulator and try it. or get out the test light and test it.
    to check for ground just put the test light lead on known good power. but light wont tell you low voltage
    but sense you swapped locations it doesnt sound good
    Last edited by Don Dieago; 11-09-2017 at 07:36 PM.

So it's definitely the unit itself. Now I'm debating paying the $220 to have it fixed or upgrade. I'm keeping the other 70dv unit for the console, but a bigger graph might be nicer at the bow. As I said I have the GCV10 also, with the units networked. I'd like to keep the units talking to each other and also keep the option to add panoptix at a future date. From my understanding my only way to do this while increasing screen size is to go to the older 840 or 1020 models, or the more expensive gpsmap units?

Another upgrade question - I currently have a GT30 and a basic 2d transducer on the transom, and a GT20 on the trolling motor. I'd like to increase 2D performance at both locations - I was thinking a GT52 on the transom to replace both transducers. I would like to be able to get better 2d readings on plane, which I guess I'd achieve better with an in hull or thru hull? Any suggestions on a better bow transducer? I don't really bother with sidevu up front - I mostly would like to get better 2d performance. Any recommendations are appreciated - it's kind of overwhelming trying to choose between the number of available transducers. Btw the lakes I fish are a max depth of about 70' - most of my fishing is done in 20' or less.

14. Member
    You are already set for the transom. The GT30 is the only transducer that works with the "Y" cable to split out the 2d to a different inhull for on plane readings. Garmin makes an inhull version of the GT8 and GT15. The better one is probably the GT15M-IH. On the trolling motor if you don't want SideVu, The GT22 would be perfect. It does chirp 2d and down imaging. The gain there would be in better DownVu/ClearVu and excellent 2d. It's 0.2" longer than the GT20 so you'll need a hair more room.

15. Member
    Let me know if you need another 70s, I have one I used for mapping only on my last boat. It’s never had a transducer connected to it.
    Tracker Panfish 16

Bonafide EX123 Kayak

Just to clarify, I've seen a lot of fuss over "clearvu" vs "downvu". Does the GT22 provide true downvu? I'm a bit unclear about this issue - whether it's the transducer or the graph that would be in control of how the image is obtained/presented.

17. Member
    All the GT transducers provide true down imaging sonar regardless of the unit and regardless of whether the unit is named sv,dv or cv. The recent units call it ClearVu. Units with a CV transducer connected use software blending to produce the down image, again regardless of the unit nomenclature. The single determining factor is the GT or CV name on the transducer.

18. Member
    Even with a GT ducer once you update to version 4.10 or better you will see downvu renamed clearvu on the screens. I was initially concerned, but have been assured that Leonard's #17 above is correct.

Thanks for clearing that up. Makes sense! Now that I'm looking into options my head is spinning haha. I'm waiting on some money to come in, but I'm thinking of adding a second unit to the bow along with a ps21 'ducer, in which case I'd probably keep the gt20. Then I'd keep the single unit at the console but add a tablet (which I already own) through the active captain app for mapping. This way I'd keep the 7" Echomap dedicated to sonar. On the transom I'd either keep the gt30 and add a gt15 in hull as suggested, or replace the gt30 with a GT52 and try to set it up so I can get decent readings while on plane. Do you guys see any issues with this setup?

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd Driscoll View Post
    Regarding the questions about echoMAP Plus units and future networking (with the upcoming update), as the original press release stated, this update will allow sonar sharing and user data sharing between echomap Plus 7” or 9” units. Map sharing from built-in maps or mapping cards is not supported. However, with the ActiveCaptain App and OneChart, you will be able to transfer tiles of LakeVuHD Ultra or BlueChart Vision cards to these echomaps that you have registered.

Other Ethernet features like RADAR are not supported either. Communication with GPSMap units is not supported, and backwards compatibility to previous generation echoMAPs is not planned.
    Does the echomap chirp plus 73sv version use the same transducers and mount as the now older echomap chirp 73sv version? I already have a echomap chirp 73sv and was thinking about upgrading for the touch and sonar sharing capability.
    Last edited by dusty_allen; 11-24-2017 at 09:25 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast